R1150 RT-P Tail Light Bulbs out

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

R1150 RT-P Tail Light Bulbs out

Postby jcabiles » Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:43 am

Recently got a warning light indicating a faulty brake or tail light. Upon checking the rear, discovered that some bulbs in tail light assemblies are out. see attached photo.

Can anyone tell me:
- can the bulbs be replaced or do the assemblies have to be replaced?
- if bulbs can be replaced, do the red lens' pop out/screw out?
- if I have to buy new ones, what are some sources (I did not see any similar parts listed in the Boneyard)
Attachments
Tail Light 2.jpg
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Re: R1150 RT-P Tail Light Bulbs out

Postby grownup » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:26 am

Did you get a repair order for this ? I think you can get a standard licence plate light for a car and it should work. Check Autozone. Remove the bulb and find a match. You might want to replace both.
Ted
2002 R1150-RTP
2013 R1200 GSA
2016 S1000 XR ( 1 BTC Bike )
grownup

Postby biometrics » Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:36 pm

The bulbs that are inoperative could be left over from the police equipment. They may have been used by the rear police strobes for traffic stops and may not be operational because the strobe equipment was removed. The small red assemblies install in the plate by turning them 90 degrees. Left to get them off, right to put them back. After you have removed one, I think the red portion just pops off. There should be a wire harness plug behind the round assemblies to disconnect them for replacement.

I suggest you switch the bulbs that are not burning into the sockets where the bulbs are lit up to see if it is the bulb or the (missing) strobe equipment that is not functional. If the good bulbs work in the sockets where the bulbs appear burnt out, you just have to replace the bad bulbs. The bulbs, if needed, should be available at any Autozone or Advanced Auto or NAPA or even a truck travel plaza.

When I decommissioned my RT-P and resurrected it as just a civilian RT, I removed the plate you have in your photo. My plate had blue lights mounted, and you can't run those light assemblies in most states with operational blue lights. I replaced them at a truck stop on I-81 with red ones... the cost was just a few dollars for each assembly...then eventually just removed them when I removed the crash bars.
1983 R100 /T with Velorex Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (Sold!)
1999 R1100RT-P (Sold!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (Sold!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
biometrics
Frequent Poster

Postby sundaeman » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:34 am

Never waited for mine to go out. I replaced them with a set from here http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/round-marker-lamps/
2006 R1200RT-P

"Who is John Galt?"
sundaeman
Unhappily Ranked

Return to Tech