Oops. Now what do I do?

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Oops. Now what do I do?

Postby Mike James » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:38 pm

Oops.

My brother hit a corner too fast, then hit some gravel too fast, then hit a concrete ditch too fast and put a severe hurting on my 1993 K75S ABS. He is fine except for feeling a little stupid.

Now suddenly I've got a 21 year old bike with some broken cast aluminum, cracked tupperware and assorted scrapes and bruises. It's rideable but the left heel peg is missing so you have to keep your foot somewhere else, and have fun shifting!

According to the microfiche, most of these parts are no longer available from the dealer network, and I have no desire to spend the next few years searching for used parts.

The insurance company will probably total it and send me a check for ~$2K, but since sliding on gravel is an "at fault" accident, the accident will affect my rates. So it's probably not worth the $2K to mess with the rates. (BTW Brother is specifically covered under my policy.)

Does anyone love these K bikes enough to do something with them? (It was/is running great.) Is eBay a viable way to sell it?

I don't know about such things. Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks!

Mike
1993 K75 S ABS
2007 F800ST
2013 Victory Cross Country
2001 YZ250F dirt bike for the farm

"If you don't ask, the answer is always No."
Does something smell bad in here, or is it just me?
Mike James

Re: Oops. Now what do I do?

Postby drewalex » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:27 pm

I know someone who has 2 thumbs & would love another k75s if the price is right, this guy!
Go for a ride!- Paul Mihalka
drewalex
Mr. Bobblehead

Postby Chiba » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:40 pm

eBay is a crapshoot... I'd go to ibmwr.org first for that kind of thing, or even get in touch with the dude at Beemer Boneyard.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby EricS » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:30 pm

If I were your brother and had just buggered your motorcycle, I would feel pretty responsible for making things right.

My recommendation is to figure out what the bike was worth pre accident. Then let it be up to your brother to make it right. He could pay you what it was worth and then take on the responsibility for selling on eBay to recoup what he can. Alternatively, he could take the insurance money....then you should remove him from you current and future policies so that his crash record wouldn't affect your future rates.

Of course I don't know the family dynamics so all of that must be taken into consideration.
Eric S.
2009 K1300GT Red
EricS

Postby Mike James » Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:48 pm

Little brother feels plenty bad and will happily make up the difference, so no worries there.

Drew - I sent you a PM.
1993 K75 S ABS
2007 F800ST
2013 Victory Cross Country
2001 YZ250F dirt bike for the farm

"If you don't ask, the answer is always No."
Does something smell bad in here, or is it just me?
Mike James

Postby jeffeaby » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:02 am

I have rebuilt older Ks and finding parts is not that bad, just takes perserverance. Most parts are also available new, but the cost is scary. If you need a second opinion, I would be glad to look at it and offer up my 2 cents, from a been-there-done-that perspective.
76 R90/6
85 K100RS
08 K1200GT
jeffeaby

Return to Tech