Is it just a loose connection?

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Is it just a loose connection?

Postby jcabiles » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:05 pm

I’ve had this situation happen several times recently. Key on, good dash lights and self check, hear a short buzz, hit starter button, clunk, nothing, dash lights go blank.
Hmm, removed the seat to check fuses and jiggle wires connected to the battery. Fuses good.
Try again, Key on, good dash lights and self check, hear a short buzz, hit starter button, it starts.
So I took the tupperware off so I could check out the battery. With the only the left panel off, Key on, good dash lights and self check, hear a short buzz, hit starter button, clunk, nothing dash lights go blank. AND I SAW A SPARK at the negative terminal.
There was one small gauge wire that was easily moved. Jiggled the wires while the key was on and the dash lights came back on, and a good start.
So I tightened the negative terminal so no of the wires would move. Went through several cycles of starting and stopping and that seemed to fix the issue.
Also took the following battery readings: Key off – 13.2 V; Key on – 12.98V

So my question to you experts out there, before I put the tuperware back on, is there anything else I should check?
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Re: Is it just a loose connection?

Postby Aether » Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:20 pm

Classic ground issue behavior. Disconnect and clean the battery connections and wherever the ground wire terminates - hitting em lightly with fine sandpaper or wire brush, slap some dielectric grease and do the tighten up.
-Adam

2014 Triumph Street Triple R (3 Cylinder LandJet)
1976 BMW R75/6 (2 cylinder/2 wheel fun)
1966 BMW R60/2 - R75 Conversion w/ Sidecar (2 cylinder/3 wheel fun)
Aether
Board Guru

Postby jcabiles » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:00 pm

Done. Terminals and connectors cleaned and tightended.

The real benefit is that I learned to take off the crash bars and tupperware. Looks like I'm on the road to DIY maintenance.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby Rick F. » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:11 pm

jcabiles,

Excellent!

Of course, it all reminds me of the Lucas Electrics Factory Motto in England: "A Good Day's Work and Home Before Dark!"

Seriously, I'm glad you were able to sort out the problem and correct it.

Rick F.
For all my tour articles, check out rsftripreporter.net.

2020 Mercedes-Benz SL550
2013 BMW 335i convertible (sold)
2007 Aston Martin V8 Vantage (sold)
2006 BMW Z4 3.0i roadster (sold)
2005 BMW R1200GS (retired)
2003 BMW F650CS (sold)
Rick F.
Board Wizard

Postby Chiba » Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:17 am

jcabiles wrote:The real benefit is that I learned to take off the crash bars and tupperware.

Sometimes that takes up the bulk of the time you spend working on the bike!
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby jcabiles » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:47 am

In spite of a few glitches and 'Newbie' apprehension, I really enjoyed getting the work done. Kind of like gardening, but in a different medium.

Now seriously considering getting a lift and more tools. Oh yeah, and get the junk in the garage cleaned up so I have a better working area. :D
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby Genen8kua » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:08 pm

jcabiles wrote:In spite of a few glitches and 'Newbie' apprehension, I really enjoyed getting the work done. Kind of like gardening, but in a different medium.

Now seriously considering getting a lift and more tools. Oh yeah, and get the junk in the garage cleaned up so I have a better working area. :D

Very careful there. Your MC might just be a starter drug. Next thing you know, you'll have a collection and then you'll end up spending a good chunk of a weekend doing something like this to your nice car. Got a lot of emoticons from Claudia when I sent her a text message with pictures when in the thick of it.

Good work there! Boxers of all vintages are nice learning platforms, and there's good support here and elsewhere for the budding DIY'er.

And, to quote my father-in-law: "Gene, it only costs a little bit more to do it yourself." :lol:
Gene
2016 S1000XR
2007 R1200GS

What happens in the helmet stays in the helmet.
Genen8kua
GO COWBOYS!

Return to Tech