Anodizing/powder coating in NoVA?

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Anodizing/powder coating in NoVA?

Postby Blixa » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:59 pm

Hi guys -

Two questions:

I would like to paint my stock spoked wheels. They see a bit of abuse from gravel and dirt. I'd like to know if it would be best to anodize or powder coat them (i.e. - which would last longer?).

Also, I would like to know if there are any places in the NoVA area that do either one.

Thanks, as always, for your insight!
Blixa
Frequent Poster

Re: Anodizing/powder coating in NoVA?

Postby guitardad » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:46 am

I would think powdercoating wouldn't be a good solution for something that needs to flex the way wheel spokes do. I've had a motorcycle frame powdercoated by these folks - http://www.mdpowdercoating.com/main.htm They did a good job but that type of finish tends to be kinda brittle. Anybody know about anodizing?
Chaz
'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color
'79 R65 "Hans" - Red also ( I sense a pattern!)
guitardad
Original Oilhead

Postby stevebmw » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:49 am

Talk to our service department about the folks we use. If you've seen the custom red GS we put together...

... they're the guys who did all the powder coating on this bike. Another nice touch -- they powder coated and then clear coated the wheels, so they're both beautiful and tough.
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
http://www.mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby Blixa » Mon Feb 17, 2014 2:28 pm

Thank you both for your suggestions. I'm leaning more toward anodizing, but will definitely check out your recommendations. I don't think there are any places out here that do anodizing, so I'm also thinking about shipping them to Woody's Wheels, or buying a set of Excel wheels. But that kind of coin could also be put toward an F800GS. Decisions, decisions. Thanks for your help!
Blixa
Frequent Poster

Postby tatort » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:54 pm

aerosol "plasti dip" is currently very popular. search the internet...its kinda amazing.

some random web site wrote:Plasti Dip is a multi-purpose specialty rubber coating that can be easily applied by spraying. PlastiDip protective coating products resist moisture, acids, abrasion, corrosion, skidding/slipping, and provides a comfortable, controlled grip. It remains flexible, stretchy and will not become brittle or crack in extreme weather conditions. Perfect for spraying badges, wheels, etc. If you decide to change the look of your Plasti Dipped items, cured Plasti Dip will peel off easily from most surfaces. It leaves the material underneath in its original, pre-dipped condition.

i have not done this myself but an acquaintance of mine sprayed his (honda blackbird) wheels with good results. i think he bought his stuff at dipyourcar.com
tatort
Frequent Poster

Postby Blixa » Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:32 pm

tatort wrote:aerosol "plasti dip" is currently very popular. search the internet...its kinda amazing.

some random web site wrote:Plasti Dip is a multi-purpose specialty rubber coating that can be easily applied by spraying. PlastiDip protective coating products resist moisture, acids, abrasion, corrosion, skidding/slipping, and provides a comfortable, controlled grip. It remains flexible, stretchy and will not become brittle or crack in extreme weather conditions. Perfect for spraying badges, wheels, etc. If you decide to change the look of your Plasti Dipped items, cured Plasti Dip will peel off easily from most surfaces. It leaves the material underneath in its original, pre-dipped condition.

i have not done this myself but an acquaintance of mine sprayed his (honda blackbird) wheels with good results. i think he bought his stuff at dipyourcar.com

Thank you for the suggestion. My only concerns about plasti dip are how long it would last when getting hit with rocks and other junk, and how difficult it would be to apply to spoked wheels for a temporary solution. I will do some research on it. Thanks again!
Blixa
Frequent Poster

Postby gunnert » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:40 pm

Spoke wheels are usually made from steel. You can't anodize steel. If your wheels are aluminum anodizing and powder coating are options. Don't know of anyone around here that does anodizing. I've had quite a bit of powder coating done by Figure Finishing in Manassas. Never had an issue with their work. They recently did a set of wheels for me that came out flawless.
Avid Motorcyclist
'12 K1600GT
gunnert

Postby Blixa » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:16 am

gunnert wrote:Spoke wheels are usually made from steel. You can't anodize steel. If your wheels are aluminum anodizing and powder coating are options. Don't know of anyone around here that does anodizing. I've had quite a bit of powder coating done by Figure Finishing in Manassas. Never had an issue with their work. They recently did a set of wheels for me that came out flawless.

Thanks for the tip!
Blixa
Frequent Poster

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:50 pm

gunnert wrote:Spoke wheels are usually made from steel. You can't anodize steel. If your wheels are aluminum anodizing and powder coating are options. Don't know of anyone around here that does anodizing. I've had quite a bit of powder coating done by Figure Finishing in Manassas. Never had an issue with their work. They recently did a set of wheels for me that came out flawless.

The spokes are steel, but the rims and hubs are aluminum alloy.

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Return to Tech