Bump starting a 2005 R1200 RT is not easy

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Bump starting a 2005 R1200 RT is not easy

Postby bdimon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:05 pm

The engine cranks but it strains to do it. It's only in the mid twenties and the battery is a year old. I had the heated seat and grips on high during the ten miles ride to work this morning but I was still cold. It started quickly in the heated garage this morning. After sitting in the parking garage all day, it does not want to leave.

Chah-a-chug, Chah-a-chug is the sad sound I hear from pushing the starter button. Nothing sounds like an explosion of gasoline. I don't smell any gas either. Maybe the fuel is not getting pumped through the injectors?

Will the computer allow the bike to be bumped started? I called the dealer who said it was possible but try it in third or fourth gear. Good thing I parked on the the second level of the garage. Gear up, key on, and push off down the slope. Ease out the clutch and I skid. Pull in the clutch, shift up, and try it in fourth. After another skid I am at the bottom of the ramp.

If you need jumper cables, ask a pick up truck driver. Car drivers have no tools. Connected to an F150, the starter sure cranks with authority. Unfortunately, it did not crank with combustion. Time to call the expert; Hello, George.

So maybe it's a fuel pump controller. If only the bike decided to fail in my nice warm garage. I could try making one of those bypass cables but it is so much easier to take it to a shop. Hopefully I can get it towed for a reasonable fee. :cry:
Bruce Dimon
2005 R1200RT
Webmaster & Media Chair :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Re: Bump starting a 2005 R1200 RT is not easy

Postby grownup » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:31 pm

You are convincing me to drive tomorrow. Sorry to hear of your bike failure. But, I think they fail more often in the cold. But, it still sounds like the battery is dead. Mine is sounding like crap in the cold too. My battery is only 1 year old also on my 2013 R1200 GSA. I tried to bump start the R1150 RTP last year when my battery went dead at 13F on a windy night. But, discovered it is near impossible. I think the compression ratio on big motorcyles make them harder to start than cars. It is much easier to bump start a car. Gel batteries suck in the cold. I carry jumper cables when I ride now. But, have never had to use them. I personally think using heated gear can drain your battery, but I use it too, which reminds me I should plug in my battery tender.
Ted
2002 R1150-RTP
2013 R1200 GSA
2016 S1000 XR ( 1 BTC Bike )
grownup

Postby bdimon » Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:48 pm

grownup wrote:You are convincing me to drive tomorrow. Sorry to hear of your bike failure. But, I think they fail more often in the cold. But, it still sounds like the battery is dead. Mine is sounding like crap in the cold too. My battery is only 1 year old also on my 2013 R1200 GSA. I tried to bump start the R1150 RTP last year when my battery went dead at 13F on a windy night. But, discovered it is near impossible. I think the compression ratio on big motorcyles make them harder to start than cars. It is much easier to bump start a car. Gel batteries suck in the cold. I carry jumper cables when I ride now. But, have never had to use them. I personally think using heated gear can drain your battery, but I use it too, which reminds me I should plug in my battery tender.

I thought it might be a weak battery but it spun really strong when connected to the truck's battery. The Odyssey battery in my bike is a gel type, I think.
Bruce Dimon
2005 R1200RT
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby jcabiles » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:17 am

Similar thing happened to me during the really cold spell about three weeks ago. Luckily mine was in the garage and on a battery tender.

It too labored very hard to turn over and catch. After a second attempt the starter wouldn't engage. I left it alone for about another week untill the weather warmed up above freezing. In preparation to try another start, I took a space heater and set it close to the rear side of the cyclinder heads. I warmed up each cylinder for at least a couple hours before tried to start it. It started up.

I think getting the heads, fuel lines and possibly the injectors warmed up helped.

Hope you get yours started and its as simple as getting the engine above a reasonable temperature.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby bdimon » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:17 am

jcabiles wrote:Similar thing happened to me during the really cold spell about three weeks ago. Luckily mine was in the garage and on a battery tender.

It too labored very hard to turn over and catch. After a second attempt the starter wouldn't engage. I left it alone for about another week untill the weather warmed up above freezing. In preparation to try another start, I took a space heater and set it close to the rear side of the cyclinder heads. I warmed up each cylinder for at least a couple hours before tried to start it. It started up.

I think getting the heads, fuel lines and possibly the injectors warmed up helped.

Hope you get yours started and its as simple as getting the engine above a reasonable temperature.

Well, it was only about 28 degrees when I tried to start it. I would be shocked if that temperature was too low for the Beemer. The gas should be good as I last filled up on January 17. The gas tank is low but the computer says I still have 64 miles left on the tank and one or two bars show on the dash. I can also see gas sloshing around in the tank.

Oh well, I called for a tow. At least it is not prime riding season.
Bruce Dimon
2005 R1200RT
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby henwin » Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:26 pm

Bruce...what kind of oil are you running...synthetic or non/partial? If either of the latter, that might be the problem. Maybe your oil is too thick and it's slowing the starter enough to prevent ignition. If you're not running synthetic, maybe now's the time to try it?
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
henwin
Board Wizard

Postby bdimon » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:05 am

henwin wrote:Bruce...what kind of oil are you running...synthetic or non/partial? If either of the latter, that might be the problem. Maybe your oil is too thick and it's slowing the starter enough to prevent ignition. If you're not running synthetic, maybe now's the time to try it?

I use the BMW branded dinosaur juice. I am not convinced that the synthetic makes much difference. I don't think that the oil thickness is the problem because I connected a jump start battery when the temperature rose above freezing and tried again. The engine spun really fast but there was no combustion.
Bruce Dimon
2005 R1200RT
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby bdimon » Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:20 pm

The surprising answer is water! George at Beemers Uber Alles found water in the tank. Well, I never put gas in unless the bike is nearly empty, even in winter. That habit will change. Also I will occasionally add some Startron or similar water-absorber to a full tank of gas. I just assumed that I used too much gasoline for it to get stale. Obviously, my short winter commute does not fill the tank often enough.
Bruce Dimon
2005 R1200RT
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby henwin » Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:16 pm

bdimon wrote:The surprising answer is water! George at Beemers Uber Alles found water in the tank. Well, I never put gas in unless the bike is nearly empty, even in winter. That habit will change. Also I will occasionally add some Startron or similar water-absorber to a full tank of gas. I just assumed that I used too much gasoline for it to get stale. Obviously, my short winter commute does not fill the tank often enough.

Glad to hear it wasn't something more serious than that, Bruce.
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
henwin
Board Wizard

Return to Tech