Anyone recognize these Highway peg brackets?

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Anyone recognize these Highway peg brackets?

Postby Wild Pig » Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:02 pm

Like the title said. I've been poking around online and found a few similar, but nothing matches exactly. I'm interested in seeing the mounting instructions because I think there are spacers missing that cause the valve covers not to seat correctly. After installation, the bike leaked oil like a cow peeing on a flat rock.

Jim

tunc non est ut sues
Wild Pig
Frequent Oinker

Re: Anyone recognize these Highway peg brackets?

Postby Maria V » Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:12 am

They look vaguely like Talon highway pegs. I had a set for the 1150R and never installed them. Since sold, but let me see what I can track down online and at home.
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby henwin » Tue Oct 15, 2013 2:56 pm

Wild Pig wrote:Like the title said. I've been poking around online and found a few similar, but nothing matches exactly. I'm interested in seeing the mounting instructions because I think there are spacers missing that cause the valve covers not to seat correctly. After installation, the bike leaked oil like a cow peeing on a flat rock.

While I have no specific experience w/ those peg brackets, I can't see where spacers would be needed. The bracket is bolted on the outside of the cylinder cover--under the cover bolt, but not under cover itself--which is where a gasket would be, so there's nothing to leak from, UNLESS the cover's gasket has been damaged or the cover simply wasn't seated properly, which to me is much more likely. I believe you could at one time buy brackets like that from Bob's.

Have you tried mounting the cover without the peg bracket and then torquing the bolts to proper spec? If you can do that and it doesn't leak, then mounting the bracket for the peg shouldn't cause it to leak, either....IMO, anyway.
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
henwin
Board Wizard

Postby patrick1moon » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:01 am

Wild Pig wrote: I think there are spacers missing that cause the valve covers not to seat correctly. After installation, the bike leaked oil like a cow peeing on a flat rock.

I used to have similar pegs for my 05 RT, and yes there are small spacers that go on the valve bolts. Just a word of advise... FYI, this makes the bolt have about 1/2 of the threads normally used to keep the cover on. I found this to make a less than ideal securing setup and with the added weight of your feet on those pegs can cause the bolts to pull out or strip out when tightening. Even though they are a cheap alternative I do not think I would ever recommend them to anyone. Save up and get some J-pegs or some other alternative that doesn't use the stock valve cover bolts as a mounting point.

:oops:

Also if you happen to fall over.. those pegs will really put some stress on the valve bolts. You may be setting yourself up for a very expensive repair.
2010 Red Low Frame R1200GS
2013 Red Honda CRF250L
patrick1moon
Frequent Poster

Postby Wild Pig » Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:14 pm

Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking. I may take the pegs off and just use them for light mounts. The more I see them on the bike, the less I like the set up.
Jim

tunc non est ut sues
Wild Pig
Frequent Oinker

Return to Tech