GPS Purchase Question/Transfer

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

GPS Purchase Question/Transfer

Postby Maria V » Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:07 am

Hi all - looking to buy a slightly used zumo. Is there anything I need to know about the unit being registered? If the current owner registered the unit, will I have any issues accessing map updates, or is there some sort of 'transfer' process?

Thanks!
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Re: GPS Purchase Question/Transfer

Postby adooley » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:17 am

The following is from Garmin concerning transfer of ownership and registration:

If you purchase a device second hand from an individual and the unit is already registered to that person, you will see a message appear that states "The serial number you have entered has already been registered" when trying to register it to a separate myGarmin account. You will need to contact that person directly to have the device removed from their account so you can then register it to your own account. The original owner can simply delete the registered device from their account thus opening it up to be registered on a new account.

Below is a list of downloadable content or purchases that can be used if still loaded to the device, but cannot be accessed in the myGarmin account of the new owner:
◦Supplemental Map Downloads
◦Mad Maps
◦Safety Camera Subscriptions
◦Games
◦FM Traffic Subscriptions

If one of the above is already loaded to a device when it is received, the product can be used but no updates can be accessed from myGarmin without purchasing a new item, subscription, or service.

Because map updates (including the nuMaps Lifetime subscription) do not require registration, they may still be accessed if the device is sold or given away.

Lifetime updates can be accessed outside of myGarmin by connecting the device to a computer and visiting the map update page on Garmin's website: http://www.garmin.com/mapupdates
adooley

Postby RJP3579 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:42 pm

Which zumo are you looking at?
Rick :rider:
RJP3579
Are you not entertained?

Postby Maria V » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:23 am

I am looking at a 665.
My 450 has been slowly crapping out, and Garmin support cannot help my touchscreen issue anymore.
Maria
Retired Presidente
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby Maria V » Thu Sep 26, 2013 1:44 pm

And Andy, thanks for doing the research that I was too lazy to do myself. :lol:
Best webmaster ever. =D>
Maria
Retired Presidente
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby RJP3579 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:40 pm

Maria V wrote:I am looking at a 665.
My 450 has been slowly crapping out, and Garmin support cannot help my touchscreen issue anymore.

I have also been looking at the 665 (XM radio) to replace my 550. My 550 still works but with every map update, I lose sections due to not enough memory. The maps are getting more detailed, thus more memory. Please review if you get one.
Rick :rider:
RJP3579
Are you not entertained?

Postby adooley » Fri Sep 27, 2013 8:13 am

RJP3579 wrote:

I have also been looking at the 665 (XM radio) to replace my 550. My 550 still works but with every map update, I lose sections due to not enough memory. The maps are getting more detailed, thus more memory. Please review if you get one.

You can also download the map updates to the memory card of the Garmin. I have the Zumo 450 and I dump the latest maps to the SD card. Keeps the internal memory free for other things like mp3s and audio books. :D
adooley

Postby henwin » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:58 pm

adooley wrote:
RJP3579 wrote:

You can also download the map updates to the memory card of the Garmin. I have the Zumo 450 and I dump the latest maps to the SD card. Keeps the internal memory free for other things like mp3s and audio books. :D

A couple of things to remember:

1. The SD card cannot be larger than 4GB. The Zumo can't/won't support it. (don't ask me how I found this out).
2. The new Garmin Express software doesn't really work well :( w/ an older Zumo, because you need to be able to specify where you want to put certain map sections (internal RAM on the GPS or the memory card). So I was told by tech support to use the old MapInstall--and then it becomes a 2 step process--download a particular section of the map to the GPS and then download the rest to the card. You may have to go to Garmin's web site and download the MapInstall software. It works, but IMHO, it's a kludge at best. #-o
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
henwin
Board Wizard

Postby radon222 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:20 am

henwin wrote:
adooley wrote:
RJP3579 wrote:

A couple of things to remember:

1. The SD card cannot be larger than 4GB. The Zumo can't/won't support it. (don't ask me how I found this out).
2. The new Garmin Express software doesn't really work well :( w/ an older Zumo, because you need to be able to specify where you want to put certain map sections (internal RAM on the GPS or the memory card). So I was told by tech support to use the old MapInstall--and then it becomes a 2 step process--download a particular section of the map to the GPS and then download the rest to the card. You may have to go to Garmin's web site and download the MapInstall software. It works, but IMHO, it's a kludge at best. #-o

Henry,

You are dead on correct with point number 2. Garmin is doing their best to try and get people upgrade to new hardware by diminishing their software support of older units. But the 16GB card loaded with the latest Lifetime maps and music in my Z550 disagrees with point 1.

I'm holding out, hoping, and praying that Garmin comes out with a true update to the 665 that includes XM and bluetooth updates that improve compatibility with the various helmet BT headsets. Sena in my case.
'14 GSAW <--mine
'12 R1200RT <-- The Wifey's pimpin ride
radon222
Board Guru

Postby henwin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:29 am

radon222 wrote:
henwin wrote:1. The SD card cannot be larger than 4GB. The Zumo can't/won't support it. (don't ask me how I found this out).

Henry,

You are dead on correct with point number 2. Garmin is doing their best to try and get people upgrade to new hardware by diminishing their software support of older units. But the 16GB card loaded with the latest Lifetime maps and music in my Z550 disagrees with point 1.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. The 550 won't support a card larger than 4GB. (Maybe the newer GPS units have 64 bit CPUs and maybe the 550's is only 32 bit? which would explain that phenomena...) I know...I put a 8GB card in and it wouldn't work at all. :roll: That little point was later confirmed in a telephone call to tech support. #-o It's not very well documented, as I recall. My recollection is that it certainly wasn't in the manual that I got w/ my 550. I can't say what's in newer manuals.
KTRSD,

henwin
Board Wizard

Postby radon222 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 11:43 am

Henry,

Just to be clear... I have a 16GB SD card happily living in my Zumo 550 and it holds the complete and most recent, North American mapset. Back when the 550 was released, 4GB cards were the big boys on the block. So that's what Garmin Tech specs as the maximum capacity. Now that does not mean that all SD cards are created equally. Some work, some don't. But it's not all about size. (At least that's what my wife always tells me :emb: )
'14 GSAW <--mine
'12 R1200RT <-- The Wifey's pimpin ride
radon222
Board Guru

Postby henwin » Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:05 pm

radon222 wrote:Henry,

Just to be clear... I have a 16GB SD card happily living in my Zumo 550 and it holds the complete and most recent, North American mapset. Back when the 550 was released, 4GB cards were the big boys on the block. So that's what Garmin Tech specs as the maximum capacity. Now that does not mean that all SD cards are created equally. Some work, some don't. But it's not all about size. (At least that's what my wife always tells me :emb: )

Interesting. I may have a larger than 4GB card. Maybe I'll give it a shot if I do. But we better not press too hard. I don't want yours to stop working! :D
KTRSD,

henwin
Board Wizard

Return to Tech