R1150 RT-P Rear Brake Light

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

R1150 RT-P Rear Brake Light

Postby jcabiles » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:29 pm

The Warning Light came on today indicating a rear Brake Light malfunction. This was verified by one of my riding partners.
I have an 2004 R1150 RT-P with a rear radio box (no passenger seat).
How do I get access to replace the brake light bulb? Do I need to remove the radio box or is there another way in?
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Re: R1150 RT-P Rear Brake Light

Postby biometrics » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:44 am

You will find two screws under the tail light on the extreme right and left that hold the tail light section together... The screws are phillips heads and go straight up... At least that is what I remember from when I converted my RT-P to 2 up seating...
1983 R100 /T with Velorex Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (Sold!)
1999 R1100RT-P (Sold!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (Sold!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
biometrics
Frequent Poster

Postby adooley » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:47 pm

biometrics wrote:You will find two screws under the tail light on the extreme right and left that hold the tail light section together... The screws are phillips heads and go straight up... At least that is what I remember from when I converted my RT-P to 2 up seating...

That is what I seem to remember from my own RTP. If you have difficulty with it , just bring to a tech day and we can sort it out. :D
adooley

Postby jcabiles » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:00 pm

biometrics wrote:You will find two screws under the tail light on the extreme right and left that hold the tail light section together... The screws are phillips heads and go straight up... At least that is what I remember from when I converted my RT-P to 2 up seating...

Fixed. However the two screws that you reference hold two rubber bushings that stabilize the tail light assembly.

I did discover (on my RT-P) inside the radion box are two access holes (approx 3: dia.) with rubber covers. Removing the rubber covers gives you access to two plastic retainer knobs.

The attached pic shows one hole uncovered and the black retainer knob.

Luckily my small hands could fit and undo the retainers. Easy peasy!!
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby jcabiles » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:09 pm

Fixed. However the two screws that you reference hold two rubber bushings that align and stabilize the tail light assembly.

I did discover (on my RT-P) inside the radio box are two access holes (approx 3" dia.) with rubber covers. Removing the rubber covers gives you access to two plastic retainer knobs.

The attached pic shows one hole uncovered and the black retainer knob.

Luckily my small hands could fit and undo the retainers. Easy peasy!!
Attachments
Tail Light.pdf
(114.35 KiB) Downloaded 105 times
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Return to Tech