Est. on 1st year service for air cooled R 1200 GS

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Est. on 1st year service for air cooled R 1200 GS

Postby Bobglen » Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:13 pm

My particular bike is a 2012 GS which I bought used from a private party. It received a break-in inspection in summer of 2012.
The bike is now 17 months old, still under 5000 miles, and I want to schedule the first annual service. I like the dealer but was surprised at the estimate from them. Now that I have recovered from the CPR needed, I want to get opinions from other owners before scheduling anything. I want to maintain properly and also make sure Warranty is not jeopardized.

What is a realistic price to expect, including the recommended brake fluid flush?

Thanks
Bobglen

Re: Est. on 1st year service for air cooled R 1200 GS

Postby ERC Scott » Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:57 pm

We have 3 official dealers in the area and a couple independents specializing in beemers. Call each up and ask for an estimate. Be sure to compare apples to apples. My best guess for the service would be $400 to $600. If you are mechanically inclined, you might think about going to our next tech day. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby gastone » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:52 pm

Go to a tech day. Buy JVB's video. For about $120 (give or take) you can get a 6k miles service kit from beemer boneyard. The 1200's are idiot proof when it comes to service. For a first timer, you could knock it out yourself in a few hours.
Garrett

2007 G650xChallenge
gastone

Postby Chiba » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:40 am

IMO the hardest part about servicing my R1200GS is doing the final drive oil. Getting the FD connected to the driveshaft is kind of fiddly. If you do it at a tech day like gastone suggested, plenty of folks around to help.

There is a tradeoff in doing services yourself. You save money and learn skills, but having your service done by a dealer or independent mechanic gives you a certain peace of mind.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby dcgsrider » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:41 am

I had the first two major services (6 and 12k) done at the dealer, as well as the alternator belt later on. Then I got the Jim von Baden DVD and learned to do most things myself. And I've been to one tech day and picked up some good tips about brake fluid system flush and air filter replacement. The camheads may be more complicated, but i find the valve adjustments to be the easiest of any bike I've ever owned. No shims to mess with. No need to measure the clearance, really. Just set them to proper clearance and you're done. The only periodic maintenance chore I've not tackled is the alternator belt, but that's not due for another year. As Wes says, the final drive can be a pain getting everything lined up just so at reassembly.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby Bobglen » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:56 pm

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this. My concern if not using a dealer is that if I have a problem while still under warranty I think BMW would be very unlikely to make a repair decision in my favor. At least not if there was any gray area at all concerning the problem.
Bobglen

Postby dcgsrider » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:19 am

Bobglen wrote:Thanks to everyone for their thoughts on this. My concern if not using a dealer is that if I have a problem while still under warranty I think BMW would be very unlikely to make a repair decision in my favor. At least not if there was any gray area at all concerning the problem.

You should do what's in your comfort zone, but under federal law, a manufacturer can't require you to use a specific product or service to maintain warranty coverage, unless they provide them free of charge. Save your receipts for parts, lubricants, etc. and keep a detailed journal of your maintenance activities. You can perform these service items yourself, or use an independent shop and not jeopardize the factory warranty.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Return to Tech