ABS light

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

ABS light

Postby R12R » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:38 pm

Hey,
I have a 2011 R12R. About 10 times in the past year my ABS light has gone on and stayed on while riding. Usually if I turn the bike off and restart it, the ABS light goes off. But recently the ABS light has stayed on despite turning the bike off. It did go off eventually. I brought the bike to Bob's BMW. While they confirmed that the warning light had illuminated through the bike's computer, they state that unless they can recreate the warning, there is nothing they can do. I find this hard to believe. That means the only way they will ever be able to find out what is wrong is if I drop everything and drive the bike up to Jessup as soon as the ABS light goes on and amke sure that I don't turn the bike off. Their only reassurance is that the brakes will work, just not the ABS. They also suggest that I turn the bike off and then on again. Great. That doesn't always work. A big reason I bought this bike is for the ABS. I want to know what the problem is and fix it.
Any ideas? My gut feeling is that because I didn't buy the bike from Bob's (I bought it used), they don't want to do warantee work on a bike they didn't make a profit on.
Peter
R12R

Re: ABS light

Postby Unity » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:58 pm

I can't suggest anything for the ABS light problem itself, but I think it doesn't make any difference where a bike was purchased, warranty work pays the dealer the same. The cost of parts and labor all comes out of BMW's pocket, not the dealer's. So I don't think a dealer, Bob's or any other, would turn away warranty work that they were able to diagnose and that BMW would authorize.

--John
(BTW, I live in VA and I'm not usually a Bob's customer. Beemers Uber Alles and Morton's do almost all my work. Bob's has rebuilt my Ohlins shocks a couple of times.)
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby R12R » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:44 am

Actually, dealers get paid much less for doing warantee work according to an article in popular mechanics.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/ne ... er-6311261
R12R

Postby Unity » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:41 am

R12R wrote:Actually, dealers get paid much less for doing warantee work

A dealer performing a warranty job will be paid x amount, no matter where the bike was purchased. Whether the shop can make more money doing non-warranty work is a different matter.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby R12R » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:03 pm

That's my point--if they are busy, which I think Bob's is, they might not be as willing to make less for their time on a non-customer than someone who bought the bike from them. Bob had called me because I lodged a complaint about not addressing the ABS problem, and all he talked about was how I didn't purchase the bike from him and the shady practices of other dealers. He intimated that his customers get better service.
R12R

Postby Unity » Thu Aug 01, 2013 4:02 pm

Peter, you said at first you had a "gut feeling" that the dealership didn't want to do warranty work on a bike they didn't sell, and the main reason I responded is the premise that we shouldn't be bashing dealers based on a hunch. However, if the owner personally told you exactly that, this is useful for us to know.

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver

(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby endobobdds » Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:40 pm

R12R wrote:Actually, dealers get paid much less for doing warantee work according to an article in popular mechanics.
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/ne ... er-6311261

Not sure about motorcycles, however, helped one of my employees purchase a new Toyota last month. All the dealers we talked to wanted our business and 2 of them told me they were willing to sell new cars almost at net cost to them because they want the warranty and other repair services. Apparently most people return for service to the dealer they purchase the car from.
Bob Smyth
'18 GSA, Triple Black
'04 K1200RS (Blue/White)
'02 K1200RS (Black - retired :cry: )
endobobdds
Board Guru

Return to Tech