K11 Front Master Cylinder leaking

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

K11 Front Master Cylinder leaking

Postby OwlsInBog » Thu May 16, 2013 6:10 pm

Its been quite a few years since I've been around this list. Came up with a problem on my 97K11LT on a trip down to Portland ME today. The front brake master cylinder started leaking - a lot. Rode home without using the front brakes and with a rag wrapped around the master cylinder.

Went searching for a replacement - and what did I find - nothing. Nada. All of the fiche list every possible front and rear brake part EXCEPT the front master cylinder. Nor could I find any listing for a rebuild kit. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Steve Seekins
Happily ensconced on the coast of Maine near Rockland
I sure don't miss the DC commuting traffic.
OwlsInBog

Re: K11 Front Master Cylinder leaking

Postby Chiba » Thu May 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Did you try www.beemerboneyard.com ? That's always a good place to check - that guy has tons of parts, he may well have what you need.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby OwlsInBog » Thu May 16, 2013 9:39 pm

Thanks T.!

I disassembled the master cylinder - pretty cruddy and seals long gone. Thought about doing a rebuild kit, but am not particularly confident in the bore of the old one and the finish looks like crap where the fluid has been leaking for a while, so ordered a new one from the boneyard. He has new ones with surface blems for $200 complete with piston, seals, and dust boot. Ready to bolt on. Should have it in a few days. Still don't understand why none of the BMW parts sites or dealers have that part listed.

Steve
OwlsInBog

Postby Chiba » Fri May 17, 2013 10:10 am

Awesome! BBoneyard is a great place for not only finding used parts, but new parts that are solid alternatives to OEM. He's saved my butt more than once.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby OwlsInBog » Sat May 18, 2013 9:56 pm

I agree. I seem to remember years ago that I got some parts from him that I needed for my old K100RT.

Taking apart the old was not easy. Bit of a bear to get the old piston out with alll the crud and corrosion buildup. But the hard part was figuring out how to get the heated grip off without taking most of the bike apart since the wiring goes under the tank to the big secret wiring box. In the end, I got as much free cable as I could pulled through the handle bar and clipped the leads. Now looking for a way to either install a very small disconnect plug there or simply solder them back together. I suppose if this master cylinder lasts as long as the original, I won't have to worry about fixing it again. Just had my 69th bdy and after another 16 years of riding I may be relegated to cruising up and down the street on my Kubota. :D .
OwlsInBog

Return to Tech