2005 R1200RT: Wait for the checks before starting?

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

2005 R1200RT: Wait for the checks before starting?

Postby bdimon » Mon Apr 29, 2013 1:00 pm

So this K1600GT rider turns on his key, stares at his instruments, and waits. After 5 seconds or so, I asked him why he was waiting to push the start button and he replied that it was bad for the bike if you push the start button before the dashboard indicated that all the self-checks completed. Now I read my owner's manual and I'll read it again but is this for real? Do all BMWs or some BMWs need you to wait for the last self test to finish lest you "hurt something."

What would I hurt if I push the start button right after turning on the key?
Bruce Dimon
2005 R1200RT
Webmaster & Media Chair :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Re: 2005 R1200RT: Wait for the checks before starting?

Postby radon222 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:05 pm

We received the same advice when taking delivery of my wife's '12 RT last year. Let's just say she's a lot better at remembering to wait before hitting the starter button than I am :emb: . So far nothing has blown up me yet.
'14 GSAW <--mine
'12 R1200RT <-- The Wifey's pimpin ride
radon222
Board Guru

Postby ERC Scott » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:12 pm

Dunno -- I expect it just might abort any system checks such as ABS circuit, etc. I'm pretty patient and generally don't jump the gun on the starter. I stopped that on the training bikes at the BMW Performance Center -- if (no when) the bikes stalled in the really slow stuff (the F650 twin I was on was particularly prone to this) we were instructed to pull in clutch, slap the the starter button with a palm, roll throttle, deploy clutch, and motor out. Feet were not to leave the pegs. It turned out to be a pretty useful technique. Unfortunately the newer BMWs seem to have gone to a starter button location that is not as easy to hit blindly. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby radon222 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:55 pm

Unfortunately the newer BMWs seem to have gone to a starter button location that is not as easy to hit blindly.

Yea they put the darn heated grip button where the starter button is supposed to be. When we first got the RT it took me a while to figure out why the grips always seemed to turn on automatically when I rode it.
'14 GSAW <--mine
'12 R1200RT <-- The Wifey's pimpin ride
radon222
Board Guru

Postby henwin » Mon May 06, 2013 5:47 pm

bdimon wrote:So this K1600GT rider turns on his key, stares at his instruments, and waits. After 5 seconds or so, I asked him why he was waiting to push the start button and he replied that it was bad for the bike if you push the start button before the dashboard indicated that all the self-checks completed. Now I read my owner's manual and I'll read it again but is this for real? Do all BMWs or some BMWs need you to wait for the last self test to finish lest you "hurt something."
What would I hurt if I push the start button right after turning on the key?

If I'm not mistaken Bob Henig's OLD GS is a 2005 model, and he pretty much always just started it up. I have a 2007 RT and sometimes I wait and sometimes not. To my knowledge nothing's broken because of it. I would guess it's just the computer system doing a self-check and if anything bad came up, you'd get a BIG RED TRIANGLE on the dash board.
KTRSD,

Henry S. Winokur, Treasurer
Retired MSF & Total Control Instructor
The problem is not high-performance motorcycles. It's low-performance riders...
Remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous?
henwin
Board Wizard

Return to Tech