airhead charging system not working

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Re: airhead charging system not working

Postby RocketMan » Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:36 pm

So the bike is all back together again, with a few oddities thrown in for good measure, But I didn't wind up with any spare parts or screws, what a rip!
Before going in to the details to describe the oddities, let me first touch on a few interesting things I learned in the process.

It seems Brown wire conducts grounding electricity just as well as Black wire, who knew? I always assumed that ground was/had to be Black because, as we all know, the color Black absorbs Everything, right? And when you run a wire to ground the electricity doesn't just sit there in the wire, right? Otherwise it would fill up and stop allowing any more electricity to flow in to it, right? Therefore the wire Must absorb the electricity completely which is one of Blacks basic functions, right? However since Brown wire is used throughout the bike, it Must be just as absorbent as black!
I also learned that Red and Brown wires should not come in contact with each other, I assume this is due to their locations on the Color Wheel, about one third of a rotation moving around the wheel. This is a significant number In many fields of study such as photography where we have the "Rules of Thirds" while in electrical theory when this number appears (such the position of the colors Red and Brown in the color wheel) we have a condition covered by the "Rule of Sparks!". (and some people question my knowledge of electricity, really!) :lol:

But on to the bike... everything, as I said is back together and the bike is running and starting just fine, the PIAA lights are again working but it seems the timing plate and both pickup magnets are rotated as far clockwise as they can go and the timing mark is still a bit advanced. Bbut since runs smooth even started without any choke (just a bit of coughing on my part, gotta remember to open the garage door next time!). since I can't get the advance unit off the shaft I can't adjust the rotating element, so it will have to do for now. I certainly don't want to pry it off and bend the camshaft, or then I really would be Shafted! (sorry!)
But I think I must have put the rotor in backwards cause...
1. The Piaa lights now work, however when the PiAA lights come on, the indicator light on the aux. switch glows Red and when they are off, glows Green; this seems counter intuitive. but.....
2. And also based on the fact that when I turn on the right blinker the left works, when turning on the left, the right one blinks.
And.. (are you ready for this??)
3. When I went to go for a ride to test everything, I discovered I now have 5 Reverse Gears and No forward gears!!! Ok, now slow speed backwards is easy enough to deal with, BUT at 75 Mph, rather more of a challenge!!!????? Yikes!!!

Oh well, I guess I'll get used to it once I swap around the head and tail lights (so I don't get pulled over)! I will need bigger rear-view mirrors, though, Much, Much Bigger!
An interesting few days, fer sure!

MR
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby DiscoPete » Mon May 06, 2013 12:45 am

I may have missed something in the discussion, but I didn't see the voltage regulator mentioned as a possible problem. Edit: On rereading, I see that I did miss it - the voltage regulator was mentioned.

Was that so obviously not the problem that you didn't bother to discuss it? :) How did you rule out the VR?

I had one of those go bad and it was easy to replace, screwed to the frame under the tank. The alternator light came on when it failed.
-Pete
DiscoPete
Board Guru

Postby RocketMan » Mon May 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Well the timing issue seems resolved, finally got the advance unit off after many applications of WD40. It was pretty gunked up and shaft had no lube on it. Once that was back on and timing plate set to middle the timing was spot on after a quick adjustment. And now my starter problems seems resolved so I am thinking it was due to the advanced timing causing the bike to fire prematurely just at the right moment to present some back-pressure if the motor was just at the right spot when the starter was first punched. No hesitation now when the button is first pressed and engine runs much smoother at idle. Advance returns to neutral right away when the throttle is closed and advances to full right at 3000RPM. Now I just need to do a valve adjustment and re-tune the carbs and I should be good to go (until the next "event" :lol: )

RM

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Mon May 06, 2013 9:41 pm

DiscoPete wrote:I may have missed something in the discussion, but I didn't see the voltage regulator mentioned as a possible problem. Edit: On rereading, I see that I did miss it - the voltage regulator was mentioned.

Was that so obviously not the problem that you didn't bother to discuss it? :) How did you rule out the VR?

I had one of those go bad and it was easy to replace, screwed to the frame under the tank. The alternator light came on when it failed.

while the regulator was considered, I just happened to start with the alternator and a quick test (shorting the rings with brushes not in contact with them) showed it to be bad (gen light came on bright) so did not have to look farther.

RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Previous

Return to Tech