I Hate the Smell of Gasoline in the Morning

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

I Hate the Smell of Gasoline in the Morning

Postby ERC Scott » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:58 am

Recently acquired a superbly running '05 1200GS (thanks Paul :D ). Sometimes while riding, and always when parked overnight in enclosed garage, I can detect a gasoline smell (I don't smoke and have a keen sense of smell - my only sense not diminished over the years :roll: ). There is no obvious stain of gas accumulating on garage floor or trailing across painted engine surfaces. The bike had its carbon canister removed so my first thought is to re-install the cc and see whether the odor is prevented. The second thought is to replace the plastic line junction on the fuel tanks. Any other suggestions/advice are welcomed. Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Re: I Hate the Smell of Gasoline in the Morning

Postby dcgsrider » Tue Oct 23, 2012 1:57 pm

ERC Scott wrote:Recently acquired a superbly running '05 1200GS (thanks Paul :D ). Sometimes while riding, and always when parked overnight in enclosed garage, I can detect a gasoline smell (I don't smoke and have a keen sense of smell - my only sense not diminished over the years :roll: ). There is no obvious stain of gas accumulating on garage floor or trailing across painted engine surfaces. The bike had its carbon canister removed so my first thought is to re-install the cc and see whether the odor is prevented. The second thought is to replace the plastic line junction on the fuel tanks. Any other suggestions/advice are welcomed. Scott

Yeah, I'd give the fuel line couplings a look-see. These are known weak point and can develop micro-cracks. (At least according to the interwebs, and as Thomas Jefferson said, "Don't believe everything you read on the internet.") Today I had my bike at Morton's to replace the fuel gauge strip and they had to replace the quick release coupling at the fuel pump. Pretty common, I understand.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby ERC Scott » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:55 am

dcgsrider wrote: Yeah, I'd give the fuel line couplings a look-see. These are known weak point and can develop micro-cracks. (At least according to the interwebs, and as Thomas Jefferson said, "Don't believe everything you read on the internet.") Today I had my bike at Morton's to replace the fuel gauge strip and they had to replace the quick release coupling at the fuel pump. Pretty common, I understand.

I've had a few comments to not worry about the carbon canister, and my nasal chromatograph doesn't indicate any gas odor in that general area, so that hypothesis is supported by "data". Popping off the tank covers, I can smell slight gas odor in the area of the QD on the right side of the tank. No obvious signs of liquid leaking, but there appears to be some vapor emission -- looks like it's time to replace the QD. I'm not certain whether replacing with a stock replacement QD is the best fix. Usually when there are off-brand replacements, it's a good indication that the stock part may be less than optimal. Anyone know? Scott
Last edited by ERC Scott on Mon Oct 29, 2012 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby Maria V » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:18 am

I ordered QD from beemer boneyard for the 1150R. They offered a whole kit and I swapped out the fuel lines/hose while I was at it. Hey, while you're in there anyways...
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby Wild Pig » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:53 am

I found a slight smell of fuel from the area of the QD and found a crack in one. I replaced mine on the RT with the metal ones from BB. Took about 15 minutes.
Jim

tunc non est ut sues
Wild Pig
Frequent Oinker

Postby Anton » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:36 pm

The entire point of the canister is to trap those fuel vapors that you are smelling. I don't see why people are in such a hurry to disable that. I wouldn't want my garage smelling like gas either.
Anton Largiader
The Muffin Man
http://vamotorrad.com
Anton
Board Wizard

Postby Genen8kua » Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:15 am

One of the main reasons cannisters get removed (as I've just learned) is to make room for the external reservoir and damping adjustments on aftermarket shocks. Scott, I suspect those bits on your Wilburs encroach on the space the cannister used to occupy.

That makes me wonder if there isn't an alternate location. I sure wasn't in a hurry to remove mine.
Gene
2016 S1000XR
2007 R1200GS

What happens in the helmet stays in the helmet.
Genen8kua
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Chiba » Tue Apr 02, 2013 10:35 am

Check the fuel pump assembly - the 2005s are from before they made a critical part of that unit metal. The plastic ring the fuel line threads into is prone to cracking, I had this exact problem on my '05GS. Beemer Boneyard has a collar that solves the problem if you catch it early enough.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Return to Tech