Rookie mistake. Stripped Final Drive drain plug.

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Re: Rookie mistake. Stripped Final Drive drain plug.

Postby Genen8kua » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:00 pm

One more thing to worry about (hopefully) before you put it all together: phasing the drive shaft this driveshaft phasing thread in the MOA forum describes it and Don Eilenberger posts a nice link to a 4x4 article with a good picture. Misaligning your driveshaft U-joints (by more than a tooth or two) can be a problem; don't do it. You should be able to sight up the swing arm and see the alignment and go from there, taking care not to throw it all off again as you try to get the splines on the disassembled bits to mesh with each other as you get it back together.
Gene
2016 S1000XR
2007 R1200GS

What happens in the helmet stays in the helmet.
Genen8kua
GO COWBOYS!

Postby Adventurer » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:49 pm

Then it was on to re-installed the Final Drive. I can't say it was a piece of cake being the first time ever, though it went well.

Final Final Drive 019.JPG
Installed, a large feat successfully completed.

Moving onto the tire.......

Final Final Drive 021.JPG
Did mention I improved my torquing technique since the Final Drive disaster?

Brakes (pads removed and inspected, still good) and sensor replaced......

Final Final Drive 022.JPG
Felt really good getting back to this stage.

Getting the bike back looking like this was a good thing, felt as though I had turned the corner. Then ...drum roll please......onto the..............

VALVES.............. wooohoooooooo.......
Richard
'04 GS

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Albert Einstein
Adventurer

Postby Adventurer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Getting real close ladies and gentlemen. Actually I'm stalling a little as I already know how it turns out :eekers: So please hang in there, you waited this long what's a little longer?

Final Final Drive 025.JPG
This would be the new stick coil which would replace the broken one seen earlier.

I mean how could I NOT do the plugs! What records I had on getting the bike, being fairly thorough, had no mention of plugs being replace.

Final Final Drive 024.JPG
New plugs both sides.

NOW THE VALVES!

HERE YOU GO....

Final Final Drive 023.JPG
I so admired this moment it brought me to tears.

THIS was to be the big moment for me, before the Final Drive fiasco went to the front of the line. Still, I felt all kinds of warm and fuzzy after doing the valves.
Even Sheldon Cooper would have been proud! One of the things I would always hear after getting the bike was "don't forget getting the valves done" in one form or another. Well as it turns out, by the time I got here it was "bring it on!" It didn't seem that Mt. Everest I thought it would be.

There will be one or two more posting on this over the next few day's with additional photos.

"Did it run?" "Any leaks?" "What else did you do besides what we've seen so far?"

I'll be back................
Richard
'04 GS

Albert Einstein
Adventurer

Postby Janitor » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:37 pm

We expect nothing short of success! [-o<

Have fun with it, although I believe you already have.

G.
2021 CB500X
Janitor
Undercover Logger

Postby sati8d » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:04 pm

Deano wrote:"...the Bernoulli aerodynamics of a flying manhole cover..."

This made me laugh.

+1
Smooth throttle and spirited twisties!

Tony
'09 R1200 GS Adv
...and the piggy's still saying: "whhhhiiiiiiii"
sati8d
Babies GS

Postby Adventurer » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:28 pm

TOOLS

I'm thinking, is it really necessary for a male (me) who's closer to 70 than 60 required to have this many tools? No exaggeration, I've never owned so many tools! Which reminds me of conversation I had shortly after buying the bike. The person I was speaking with, knowing I was a newbie to BMW's, says "you know what the LEAST expensive thing on your bike will be?" What did I know, I took the bait, I said "no, what would that be?" He say's......"YOU!" :shock:

End of maintenaince 005.JPG
You know, if someone didn't read this entire post, he might think I knew what the hell I was doing with all these tools!

Now I must come clean on this. In the above picture not all the tools are new and the result of my mission to learn basic maintenance......the flashlight I've had for years.

End of maintenaince 006.JPG
The same from this angle, the WD-40 I got with the purchase of the flashlight. Note the toolbox on the ground, though there was not much in it I needed.

Though I had perfect weather, I didn't rush on any of the items I tackled...well let's say items I addressed. None of Jim's suggested times to complete these task were ever reached...I did try Jim! Next time should be a tad quicker :roll:

My work area also was a bit unusual in a sense. Though I was under cover, it was necessary for me to line up large stepping stones over crushed shell gravel to which I drove the bike onto. Wasn't always the most comfortable, though it could have been worse I suppose.

End of maintenaince 004.JPG
My warm weather work station, though a bit uncomfortable at times.

Maybe one more post should do it.......................
Richard
'04 GS

Albert Einstein
Adventurer

Postby Adventurer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:12 pm

So what exactly did Adventurer accomplish in all of this?

Though at times it may have seemed I was totally over my head on all of this, in actuality, it never got close to the point of loading everything onto the trailer and off to the dealer. For lack of a better word, the stress that should have accompanied this endeavor was greatly tamed by this forum. The posting and responses (thank you all very much by the way) really were therapeutic, continually giving me the confidence to see this through. I can only get better right?

SO WHAT WAS DONE?

As far as what's was done to the bike, with the exception of just a few things (throttle body sync for one), I feel pretty confident that a 12k service was completed and then some (that final drive thing was one for the ages, a newbie should never have to go through that.) Yes, I also did all those "checks" recommended, just didn't run everything by the forum.

Since finishing I put on a couple of hundred miles on the bike. All seems good. No leaks (noticeable anyway at this time), fluids were re-checked, runs great.

Don't know really what else to say, except thank you for all your prayers and all those nightly candle vigils to see me through this.

Bike completed 001.JPG
First ride after maintenance.

Bike completed 004.JPG
Needless to say I felt pretty good here, it was fun.

palm pic.jpg
The sun sets in paradise...life's good...especially if you ride a BMW!
Richard
'04 GS

Albert Einstein
Adventurer

Postby Janitor » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:54 pm

Congrats! =D>

Good to see all is well. It's a good feeling when your bike is humming along nicely, and you know it is due to your actions. Enjoy!

Hope to meet you some day.

Ride well,
Greg
2021 CB500X
Janitor
Undercover Logger

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:32 pm

Great write-up.

If you are available, come by the tech day on the 28th at my place and see others flounder! I promise it will lift your spirits! (Not that the seem to need it!)

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Adventurer » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:02 pm

It ain't over to the Fat Lady sings!!

Again I enter uncharted waters :shock: for yet another "first attempt".

This past Saturday I preformed a Throttle Body Sync using the following successfully.................

Mercury Carb Stick.

carb stick.jpg

All went well, yet another fun experience. The GS is just humming along these day's. :D
Richard
'04 GS

Albert Einstein
Adventurer

Postby adooley » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:14 pm

Nice job, Richard! Way to presevere. =D> Now that it is all done and working, I was wondering if you like to write this whole experience up and submit it to our editor for publishing in the BTS? I hope to see you at the next Tech day! :)
adooley

Postby Trip » Wed Jul 11, 2012 10:48 am

Hi Adventurer

You might not have caused your stripped final drive drain plug. I have a 2007 1200rt with just 5800 miles I bought new. I just changed the final drive oil and discovered when I loosened the plug it wouldn't come out by hand. I had to use the ratchet the whole way out and when I reinstalled the plug it would turn freely only about 1 or 2 turns then the ratchet had to be used.

I guess I'm lucky its not stuck or broke off like yours but there must be something wrong with the threads. I'm checking with the dealer and see what they recommend.

I hope I have a easier time with my valve adjustment and synchronizing the throttle bodies.

Trip
Trip

Postby Chiba » Wed Jul 11, 2012 12:51 pm

Trip wrote:I have a 2007 1200rt with just 5800 miles I bought new. I just changed the final drive oil and discovered when I loosened the plug it wouldn't come out by hand. I had to use the ratchet the whole way out and when I reinstalled the plug it would turn freely only about 1 or 2 turns then the ratchet had to be used.

You should be able to clean up the threads easily enough, but you might want to look at getting a new drain plug - next time it might not come out so easy!
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Previous

Return to Tech