NHTSA Investiages Final Drive Failures

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Re: NHTSA Investiages Final Drive Failures

Postby dcgsrider » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:56 am

Hello Kitty wrote:
dcgsrider wrote:I know this topic has been beat to death elsewhere, but it NHTSA lowers the boom, what remedy are we expecting from Motorrad? A massive recall and replacement of the rear drive over multiple model years? :shock: At what point has the company met its obligations to provide a safe and reliable product? Not arguing, just asking.

That's a good question, Paul. And I suppose it's a tough one to answer. You are probably right that a complete and total recall is a bit extreme. But what? Lifetime warranty?

I think the real (IMO, legitimate) beef people have with this is the very long range of model years that have this common problem. If it were one, two, heck even three model years that had this and BMW realized there was a flaw somewhere and did something to correct the problem, then it would be more acceptable. To me, anyway. But for the length of time that this has gone on... Wow. I don't really follow BMW 'stuff' much anymore, but I've heard rumblings that the FD failure continues on the latest models as well. I have no evidence to back that up, just saying "I heard" May or may not be true. I do know it was true for me as well as several other people I know personally. Not all were LD types, so let's not try to blame people who ride their motorcycles.

I was fortunate that I was able to get home and to a local shop for a repair. I wasn'ts stranded somewhere needing a tow for hundreds of miles or anything crazy like needing to fly home, etc. But other folks have. They don't get reimbursed for that. We all take a certain amount of risk and need to accept it before hoping on our bikes for a long trip. But, when the manufacturer has a known defect and ignores it for years and years and years? That's a different story IMO.

Just my thoughts on this - no real answer to your question I know. Wonder what others think would be a reasonable way to handle it.

To dig in a little deeper, if there's a safety claim being asserted--safety claims are more likely to get NHTSA's attention and warrant an investigation--then the remedy requested needs to be commensurate to the claimed defect. If the failures are a safety hazard, rather than merely a costly inconvenience (stranding), then asking for BMW to replace them only when they fail--or offer a "lifetime warranty"--seems a little inconsistent to me. I've heard that a failure *can* result in a sudden rear wheel lockup with no warning. A definite hazard. If that's the case, and there's adequate documentation of same, why are we not asking BMW to replace them en masse? Waiting for them to fail improves no one's safety.

I had a similar issue with my GS, which has "gone through" two stock rear shocks. Both lost their seals and failed at 18k and 12k miles respectively. I was a little surprised to learn there was not one report on the NHTSA web site, despite the fact this topic is endlessly talked about on various forums and is regarded of a common failure point on both the 1200 GS and GSA. Of course, you rarely hear from people who don't experience failures. People who complain are a self-selected sample. My conclusion--shock failures are an annoyance, but not a safety-related item and shocks are "wear item" that I fully expect to service/replace over the life of my motorcycle. My Paralever final drive: service yes, replace no.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby JSWillis » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:51 pm

For products other than tires the period is for the life of the product (which makes sense because these are recalls based on safety rather than general performance or general wear and tear).

"Recalls involving tires are specifically limited in the Safety Act such that the owner must have the recall work completed within 60 days of receiving notification that it must be done. All other safety recalls are in effect for the life of the product."

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/probl ... oblems.cfm.

dcgsrider wrote:I know this topic has been beat to death elsewhere, but it NHTSA lowers the boom, what remedy are we expecting from Motorrad? A massive recall and replacement of the rear drive over multiple model years? :shock: At what point has the company met its obligations to provide a safe and reliable product? Not arguing, just asking.
2007 K1200GT (well, sort of)
IBA#31809
Global Cooling - it's the coming thing.
JSWillis
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:39 pm

IMHO BMW will not be forced to do anything. The actual numbers of final drive failures may or may not be revealed, but it is all relative. The average life expectancy of "most" motorcycles is FAR less than automobiles, and so long as the issue(s) are not safety related BMW will be off the hook.

A failure counts when? At 10K miles, 20K, 50K forever? How long "should" they last? Now back up your assertion with facts as to why! The reasons for failures will have to be identified as well. BMW riders ride a LOT more miles, on average, than do sport bike riders. Does that matter? Why or why not? BMW riders often overload their bikes, I know I have a lot, and that can't be proven, but is certainly a factor. The GS and the LT have a higher incident of failures for the overloading reason, as well as abuse by GS riders "off road".

IF there is an issue what would the fix be? Replace all 1.5 MILLION final drives on all BMW bikes using the similar FDs? How about extending the warranties, and if so, for how long? Forever? How do you handle the people who have already paid for a new/repaired FD out of their pockets, and how do you prove it if it was done by someone like Anton?

This, if you can't tell already, is a very complicated subject. Not easily defined by simple righteous indignation!

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Chiba » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:41 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:Not easily defined by simple righteous indignation!

lol apparently in your house-buying & fixing-up time away from the forums, you've forgotten how the internet works :D
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby JSWillis » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:47 pm

Recalls are bsased on safety related - not just wear and tear.

JimVonBaden wrote:IMHO BMW will not be forced to do anything. The actual numbers of final drive failures may or may not be revealed, but it is all relative. The average life expectancy of "most" motorcycles is FAR less than automobiles, and so long as the issue(s) are not safety related BMW will be off the hook.

A failure counts when? At 10K miles, 20K, 50K forever? How long "should" they last? Now back up your assertion with facts as to why! The reasons for failures will have to be identified as well. BMW riders ride a LOT more miles, on average, than do sport bike riders. Does that matter? Why or why not? BMW riders often overload their bikes, I know I have a lot, and that can't be proven, but is certainly a factor. The GS and the LT have a higher incident of failures for the overloading reason, as well as abuse by GS riders "off road".

IF there is an issue what would the fix be? Replace all 1.5 MILLION final drives on all BMW bikes using the similar FDs? How about extending the warranties, and if so, for how long? Forever? How do you handle the people who have already paid for a new/repaired FD out of their pockets, and how do you prove it if it was done by someone like Anton?

This, if you can't tell already, is a very complicated subject. Not easily defined by simple righteous indignation!

IBA#31809
JSWillis
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:21 am

JSWillis wrote:Recalls are bsased on safety related - not just wear and tear.

Exactly why you won't likely see BMW forced to do anything. Though there have been a couple (two that I am aware of) FD failures that "may" have caused rear wheel lock-up unexpectedly, otherwise it is a simple break-down when a FD fails.

JimVonBaden

Postby JSWillis » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:26 am

FD failure could compromise the abiltiy to control properly the bike with the rear wheel "floating" (my words) in the three dimensions.

JimVonBaden wrote:

Exactly why you won't likely see BMW forced to do anything. Though there have been a couple (two that I am aware of) FD failures that "may" have caused rear wheel lock-up unexpectedly, otherwise it is a simple break-down when a FD fails.

IBA#31809
JSWillis
Board Guru

Postby ERC Scott » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:49 am

I just pulled this up from mcusa website. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/573/12245/Motorcycle-Article/BMW-Incurs--3-Million-NHTSA-Penalty.aspx
Apparantly, at issue is the timeliness in reporting to NHTSA (cars & bikes). Here is the text below. There maybe other sites with more info.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BMW North America will pay $3 million in civil penalties after the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration deemed the German manufacturer noncompliant in reporting safety defects. At issue is the timeliness with which BMW reported vehicle safety defects to the NHTSA.
2011 BMW R1200GS
BMW North American has agreed to pay $3 million in civil penalties after the NHTSA reports the German manufacturer noncompliant with several 2010 vehicle recalls.

The NHTSA announced on Friday, February 10, 2012, that it reached a settlement with BMW. The federal agency asserts that BMW was noncompliant with provisions established in the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Specifically, the NHTSA claims that BMW did not report known safety defects within the five days required by the Safety Act.

“It’s critical to the safety of the driving public that defects and recalls are reported in short order,” said NHTSA Administrator David Strickland in the NHTSA press announcement. “NHTSA expects all manufacturers to address automotive safety issues quickly and in a forthright manner.”

The settlement affects a series of 16 recalls in 2010. An NHTSA investigation examining those 16 recalls began in December 2010 and “found evidence of a number of instances where the automaker failed to report safety defects to the agency in accordance with federal law.”

In reviewing the 16 recall reports from BMW NHTSA investigators noted that critical information was missing or incomplete. For example of the 16 recall reports “in only six was it [BMW] able to tell the agency the number of vehicles affected by the defect or noncompliance and expected to be recalled. In only five recalls reports was BMW able to supply any chronology of principal events, and only one of these five chronologies met the bare minimum for such a chronology.”

NHTSA documentation goes on to state that upon reviewing updates on the recalls “it has taken BMW over 30 days, on average, to provide required information, including such fundamental information as population figures.”

BMW will pay its $3 million penalty in a single lump sum payment to the U.S. Treasury within 30 days. BMW has also agreed “to make internal changes to its recall decision-making process to ensure timely reporting to consumers and the federal government in the future.”

Of the 16 recalls at issue, seven affect BMW Motorcycles (list below):

Recall Number: 10 V 273 000
Date: 15-JUN-2010
Models: 2007-2008 G650 X Country, G650 X Challenge and G650 X Moto
Subject: Roll Gear Pin Mounting Attachment
Potentially Defective: 1,807

Recall Number: 10 V 274 000
Models: 2008-2009 F650GS and F800GS
Subject: Drive Chain Can Break
Potentially Defective: 1,916

Recall Number: 10 V 275 000
Models: 2005-2007 R1200GS ADVENTURE
Subject: Fuel Tank Attachment Bolts
Potentially Defective: 2,070

Recall Number: 10 V 276 000
Models: 2007-2009 R1200 and K1200
Subject: Front Brake Lines
Potentially Defective: 15,532

Recall Number: 10 V 328 000
Date: 19-JUL-2010
Models: 2005-2009 R1200RT Police
Subject: Audible Signaling Device Bracket
Potentially Defective: 1,900

Recall Number: 10 V 488 000
Date: 08-OCT-2010
Models: 2005-2011 Motorcycles
Subject: Rear Wheel Linkage
Potentially Defective: 11,826

Recall Number: 10 V 496 000
Date: 14-OCT-2010
Models: 2008-2010 F650GS
Subject: Front Disc Brake Fasteners
Potentially Defective: 1,780
unquote
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:28 am

JSWillis wrote:FD failure could compromise the abiltiy to control properly the bike with the rear wheel "floating" (my words) in the three dimensions.

JimVonBaden wrote:

So can a flat tire. However, it has been very rare that a failing FD, except for those with absolutely no feel for their bike, has ever gotten to the dangerous point before the rider recognized there was an issue.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden

Postby JSWillis » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:40 pm

Well, there is no way you know how rare it is for a BMW failing FD to raise to the point of being dangerous. Has BMW given you access to the fD failure statistics and reported consequences that BMW somehow is not willing to report to the federal government? Somehow, I think not.

It's not even close to a flat tire.

Of course, you have to include in the reckoning that (IMHE) it is highly unikely that BMW dealerships are going to accept that a rider reporting "there is an issue" is going to treat that report as an indicator of a dangerous condition.

That point - when it is dangerous - is part and parcel of the NHTSA investigation.

Members with some memory know where I am coming from on this post.

The last thing I will post on this is that BMW eventually did the right thing - which is why I still ride a BMW.

JimVonBaden wrote:
JSWillis wrote:FD failure could compromise the abiltiy to control properly the bike with the rear wheel "floating" (my words) in the three dimensions.

JimVonBaden wrote:

So can a flat tire. However, it has been very rare that a failing FD, except for those with absolutely no feel for their bike, has ever gotten to the dangerous point before the rider recognized there was an issue.

Jim :cool:
IBA#31809
JSWillis
Board Guru

Postby m1dntlukgud » Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:48 pm

[quote="JSWillis"]FD failure could compromise the abiltiy to control properly the bike with the rear wheel "floating" (my words) in the three dimensions.

Rode my DR on 66 for 5 miles at 60 mph with less than 5 psi before....a little wiggly and nervous, just lean forward.....granted it's a featherweight, not a hippo.......Never felt a FD failure (BMW), but I'd imagine that one second you have preload in the bearings the next you have none......no cannonball explosion or total meltdown......just like any bearing in any vehicle.....you'd hear/feel it before it was a DANGER....or you'd catch it in your pre-ride checks........or is this issue about ring and pinion failures? (often caused by incorrect lash i.e. bearing failure) Let me tell you from experience, they don't magically explode....there's ALWAYS a sound/vibration before it quits........axles go snap, gears go grmmbbbbmmbmmbm

Would a front wheel bearing failure cause similar dangers upon failure? Yes......recall it? Does Ducati have any issues like the ones described?
m1dntlukgud

Postby BMWBoa » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi All,
I have a 2007 R1200GS, 7800 miles, leaked and failed final drive. Anyone know what the latest in the investigation is?
Thanks,
BMWBoa
BMWBoa

Postby ERC Scott » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:51 pm

BMWBoa wrote:Hi All,
I have a 2007 R1200GS, 7800 miles, leaked and failed final drive. Anyone know what the latest in the investigation is?
Thanks,
BMWBoa

Welcome to the forum!! (I think I may know who you are -- not sure). Anybody have info for BMWBoa? Scott
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby STATMATT » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:40 pm

I don't have any info for BMWBoa (welcome)

But Reading this topic is something that I have missed. I think it is important that we as a club should post the link to the NHTSA on anything that comes up with someone speaking of an FD failure or any other safety issue.

My speed sensor failed at 25K miles, causing me not to have ABS, my odometer not to work and blinker cancelations to be screwed up. But I cannot see how I would phrase that as a Safety issue. Brakes still worked I just didn't have ABS.

STATMATT
STATMATT
Frequent Poster

Previous

Return to Tech