Key Ignition is stuck...WTF?

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Key Ignition is stuck...WTF?

Postby Ultra_Beouf » Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:30 am

Quick question for the group:

Bike: '10 GSA

Scenario: This morning i pulled out of the driveway without incident and made my normal 20 mile commute...all while the ambient temp was 28*F. However, when I parked and tried to remove the key from the ignition, my trouble began...
* It became increasingly difficult to turn the key in the ignition.
* I worked the ignition to both extremes, wheel lock and starting positions, but still I could not remove the key
* I was able to start the bike. It was a tiny bit sluggish, but nothing that i haven't experienced before on such cold mornings
* The key eventually became stuck and I could not remove it from the ignition.

Any thoughts on the cause of this strange scenario? Thanks!
Ultra_Beouf

Re: Key Ignition is stuck...WTF?

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:44 am

You have some water in the ignition and it froze. Let the bike sit in the sun for a while and it will come out.

It would be a good idea to lube your ignition switch.

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby biometrics » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:22 am

If your key is a replacement type key from like a locksmith and is entirely made of metal, you can probably heat it slightly with a butane lighter and then withdraw it from the lock when the heat melts the ice... Once it is out, wipe off the moisture, and put a drop or two of light oil (3-in-one type) on the key and re-insert it and work the switch to move the oil around. That should prevent repeats of your stuck key incident.

Ideally, since the lock is exposed to outside moisture like rain, it is probably adviseable to pull the lock and clean it well with a solvent like brake cleaner... blow it dry and then lubricate it with a lube like graphite, or silicone. Something that won't have a tendency to freeze.
1983 R100 /T with Velorex Sidecar
2000 K1200LT (Sold!)
1999 R1100RT-P (Sold!)
1983 Honda Nighthawk 650 (Sold!)
1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (Ripped off!)
My Avatar? U.S. Army - Kagnew Station, Asmara, Eritrea, East Africa, 1972-1973
biometrics
Frequent Poster

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:34 am

Probably not a good idea to heat it since it has a chip inside, and they cost about $60 and only from the dealer.

JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby dcgsrider » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:00 am

JimVonBaden wrote:Probably not a good idea to heat it since it has a chip inside, and they cost about $60 and only from the dealer.

Jim,

The later-generation BMW ignitions seem to be prone to freezing, and the concave "ring" around the key seems to be an ideal conduit for channeling water into the innards of the lock during a heavy rain. Happened to me last winter on the 09 GS--and nowhere near my home, naturally. After other methods failed, I very gently heated up the tip of the key with a butane lighter and inserted it into the lock multiple times until it finally broke free. Then I added a generous squirt of lock de-icer to keep it from happening again.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby anoop » Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:27 pm

same thing happened to me after i arrived to work.
i used a zip lock freezer bag from my lunch and filled it with some hot water from my office cafeteria.
i used that to heat up the key a bit. that and wiggling the key around allowed me to break it free.

shoot something inside to expel the moisture, like WD-40.

My ignition key doesnt have a dust cover on it, like many locks have.
you know, that small piece of metal that moves aside as you put the key in.
i guess it never rains in germany. :lol:
anoop

Return to Tech