November Tech Day, 20th, Vienna, VA

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

November Tech Day, 20th, Vienna, VA

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:49 am

Time for one more tech day before Christmas.

My place in Vienna, near Tyson's mall. Bring your tires, bring your work, and we'll git-er-done!

8160 Boss St
Vienna, VA 22182

I'll provide hot food for lunch, and some hot and cold drinks. I have only a one car garage, but it will hold a few bikes, plus I have a large driveway to work in(a canopy I can set up if it rains), and plenty of bike parking if you just want to come hang out!

I have all the tools you will need, including a Twinmax, tire machine, bike lift, and assorted odds and ends. If you think you have something different, let me know and we'll see what we can do.

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Re: November Tech Day, 20th, Vienna, VA

Postby BMWGirl » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:19 am

Thanks Jim but we will also be having a tech day in December too so this is great to have TWO Tech Days before Christmas!!

You guys should tell your families to buy your Christmas presents EARLY so they will be installed and ready to go on Christmas Day! :mrgreen:

FYI... Tech Day in December will be December 12th at Battley Cycles in Gaithersburg, MD
BECAUSE I CAN!!!
IBA #37898 - IBR - 2017 IBA #565 Woohoo

2015 R1200GSA white w/PURPLE :-)
'10 K1300GT
'05 R1200ST

"Riding is about having an adventure - you just go with it and No Whining!" Kermit
BMWGirl
GO COWBOYS!

Postby gastone » Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:16 pm

Jim,

I'll need a hand flushing my whizzy brakes. You game?
Garrett

2007 G650xChallenge
gastone

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Oct 29, 2010 2:00 pm

gastone wrote:Jim,

Bring it on, easy one!

JimVonBaden

Postby timtimtim2000 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:12 pm

I should be able to make it!

I just bought a 1985 Honda XL 600 R as a winter project (pictures to follow in a seperate post). Its running but needs some love. If I can get it street legal by then ill bring it by. If not, ill find something to fix on the GS...
rides rat bikes
timtimtim2000
Board Guru

Postby Maria V » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:39 pm

I hope to make this one, and am putting in a request for electrical assist. I want to sort out the wiring on the bike and decide if I want to move the fuse panel. It's likely fine as is, but I just don't know what the previous owner did.
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby Janitor » Sat Oct 30, 2010 7:35 pm

Good deal; Thanks Jim!
2021 CB500X
Janitor
Undercover Logger

Postby RocketMan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:53 am

Hmm, i need a tire change on the front of the airhead. Does your machine handle tires with tubes? Do you even remember what those are? :lol: Other than that I'll most likely come by just to heckle and eat your food. Ha Ha!

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:56 am

RocketMan wrote:Hmm, i need a tire change on the front of the airhead. Does your machine handle tires with tubes? Do you even remember what those are? :lol: Other than that I'll most likely come by just to heckle and eat your food. Ha Ha!

RM

Sure, no problem!

JimVonBaden

Postby W7KJD » Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:39 pm

Hey Jim -- Look for me stopping by to take some pictures for BTS.
Gordon
'06 R1200RT Granite Gray
'08 Honda Silverwing
'03 F650cs Gone
'99 R1100RTP Gone
'74 R75/6 Gone
W7KJD

Newbie question...

Postby jacco » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:27 am

Hi all,

Although I've been a bmwbmw member for several years I've been consistently absent from any bmwbmw function whatsoever, :oops:, so bear with me... My 2000 R1100R (59k miles) needs a transmission input shaft spline lube (see here why I think so). Over on the BMWMOA forum they pointed me to here. Would this be a reasonable job for an upcoming Tech day? It would take a 'real mechanic' 6-8 hours, apparently, so it would take me much longer than that if I were to undertake this all by myself. Not to mention the fact that I'd currently have to do this in my yard, since I'll not be able to get my bike into my workshop for another 6-9 months, realistically. Is there a tech day planned for Jan or Feb? I cannot make either the Nov or Dec dates mentioned here...

Cheers,
Jacco
jacco

Postby guitardad » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:33 pm

Jacco - I've done the equivalent of the input spline lube several times on my '94 R-RS, and I think it's kinda borderline to do for a tech day. Not because it's beyond the capabilities of the folks here (I suspect Jim could do it with his eyes closed!) but because it's a really time and attention intensive job. You're really talking about taking up one corner of the garage area for the entire tech day, and needing one of the more knowledeable members nearly full-time for that entire day.

So a tech day is a possibility, if the host can spare the space and we know you can get the right help. If we set it up in advance, with that in mind, should be OK. Or we can come up with an alternative arrangement, either at your place or someplace else. Keep talking about it and I bet we come up with a solution.
Chaz
'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color
'79 R65 "Hans" - Red also ( I sense a pattern!)
guitardad
Original Oilhead

Postby jacco » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:46 pm

guitardad wrote:Jacco - I've done the equivalent of the input spline lube several times on my '94 R-RS, and I think it's kinda borderline to do for a tech day. Not because it's beyond the capabilities of the folks here (I suspect Jim could do it with his eyes closed!) but because it's a really time and attention intensive job. You're really talking about taking up one corner of the garage area for the entire tech day, and needing one of the more knowledeable members nearly full-time for that entire day.

So a tech day is a possibility, if the host can spare the space and we know you can get the right help. If we set it up in advance, with that in mind, should be OK. Or we can come up with an alternative arrangement, either at your place or someplace else. Keep talking about it and I bet wecome up with a solution.

Thanks for the reply, guitardad. This is what I thought, basically a whole day's worth of work for someone that knows what they're doing. This is why I'm actually thinking about having this service done by someone, which was the reason for my post over on the moa forums. If I come up with an interesting smaller job at some point I'll check back for another Tech day. Sounds like the ideal way to work on your own bike: It's more fun with other people around and good to have a pile of expert knowledge handy.
jacco

Postby eap » Thu Nov 11, 2010 3:35 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:
gastone wrote:Jim,

Bring it on, easy one!

Hey, I might even be able to help with that, I just had thorough lesson at the last Tech Day :? (Flush the longest brake line first...)

And Jim, I may finally install the cam chain tensioner that's been sitting in my tank bag for so long - will need mentoring mostly in disassembly and any tricks...
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Re: Newbie question...

Postby Georgeinva » Thu Nov 11, 2010 6:53 pm

jacco wrote:. My 2000 R1100R (59k miles) needs a transmission input shaft spline lube Would this be a reasonable job for an upcoming Tech day? It would take a 'real mechanic' 6-8 hours,

More that just the time factor, is the what if. I would hate get get into in and find you need a new clutch plate or have worn splines.
As for a real mechanic taking 6-8 hours on an R11R that is a bit much. I have done several, if nothing goes wrong its around 4 hours, 6 is the "every bolt I touched" end of the scale.
Gridlock Motors
7155 Opal rd
Warrenton VA. 20186
(571) 318 2472
http://www.beemersuberalles.com
http://www.gridlockmotors.com/

"It needs to be about 20% cooler "
Georgeinva
Board Guru

Next

Return to Tech