How To Lock Front Fork

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

How To Lock Front Fork

Postby Waylon » Wed Oct 22, 2003 9:17 pm

Is there some trick to locking the front fork on the K75 or does my bike have a problem. I've had the bike for 5 months and jiggle the handlebars like the owner's manual says, but it doesn't lock. It's a 1986 K75T. A nice bike.
Waylon

Postby kioolt » Thu Oct 23, 2003 4:54 pm

You are turning the handlebar in the right direction aren't you?
kioolt
Frequent Poster

Steering lock

Postby Waylon » Thu Oct 23, 2003 9:56 pm

The owners manual says turn key to left, then turn wheel slightly to right to permit lock to engage, then turn key to right.

I turn key to left and then wheel to right, but as I turn wheel to right I don't feel anything engaging. So the key won't go to the right past dead center. I thought maybe it's easier to do than to explain, but I can't seem
to get it engaged
Waylon

Postby kioolt » Fri Oct 24, 2003 7:16 pm

It's been awhile since I locked my front forks on my 91 K100LT, so I went and checked on what the technic is.

1. Turn the forks all the way to the right.
2. Insert the key in the fork lock on the side of the steering stem tube. (The lock is not built into the ignition switch like some bikes.)
3. Turn the key counterclockwise while pushing in on the key and turning the forks to the left.
4. When you feel the key go into the fork slightly turn the key back to the right.

The forks should now be locked.
kioolt
Frequent Poster

That worked

Postby Waylon » Tue Oct 28, 2003 12:20 am

Thanks very much for your help. That advice worked. I think that pushing in on the key was what I wasn't doing.
Waylon

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:57 pm

kioolt wrote:It's been awhile since I locked my front forks on my 91 K100LT, so I went and checked on what the technic is.

1. Turn the forks all the way to the right.
2. Insert the key in the fork lock on the side of the steering stem tube. (The lock is not built into the ignition switch like some bikes.)
3. Turn the key counterclockwise while pushing in on the key and turning the forks to the left.
4. When you feel the key go into the fork slightly turn the key back to the right.

The forks should now be locked.

I had the same problem.

Thanks for the tip.
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Return to Tech