What goes tic tic.......

Got a Tech Question? Know something about BMWs?

Moderator: JimVonBaden

Postby conanlloyd » Thu May 08, 2008 4:48 pm

RJP3579 wrote:
conanlloyd wrote:
Anton wrote:Download the BMW R1100 repair manual from wherever. It has the real dimensions (do your own conversion from metric) and the different bearing choices.

Chaz I have the manual, you can borrow it. I also have a rolling mass of spare parts for Clifford for sale. You could even change the color!

How much for the bent valves????? :lol: :lol: :lol:

You're not funny!...

OK, maybe you are

Tell you what, I'll sell you the valves for $3,500 and I'll throw in the rest of the bike for free.
conanlloyd

Postby guitardad » Sun May 11, 2008 6:51 pm

Ya know, I thought the pictures I took back when I took Clifford's transmission out were scary. I was wrong.....

So the "bike" has been lifted off the engine. I have about 20 ziplock bags full of little parts, and a box of bigger bits that will go down in the basement to make room to work. Next step is to pull out my sturdy work table and put the engine up there. Then I'll spend some time cleaning all the oil off the case before I crack it open.

I have to admit, there was a moment when I thought just parting the bike out on eBay might be the best thing to do. But...... No, I'm gonna do this! What's the worst that could happen? I work at it for a couple of months, THEN part it out on eBay? :roll:
Chaz
'16 S1000XR "Raquel" - Red, the "energetic and quick-thinking" color
'79 R65 "Hans" - Red also ( I sense a pattern!)
guitardad
Original Oilhead

Postby Unity » Sun May 11, 2008 7:04 pm

guitardad wrote:part it out on eBay?

We know you better than that, Chaz. :wink:

--John
2002 R1150RT, Silver
Silver, the "cool and aloof" color.
(Road & Track Vol. 56, No.2, p. 19)

1971 Triumph Bonneville, Gold
Gold, the "paying the restorer" color.
(Trust me.)
Unity
Shaman

Postby lionlady » Mon May 12, 2008 4:25 pm

guitardad wrote:Ya know, I thought the pictures I took back when I took Clifford's transmission out were scary. I was wrong.....

I dunno, they're pretty close :wink: , hard to believe that was in June, 2005:

P
Ta da!
lionlady
Board Wizard

Postby Hello Kitty » Mon May 12, 2008 5:46 pm

I remember that so well! Gosh, it was 3 years ago?!?! Rene from Bob's and I rode up just as Chaz found himself in need of a helicoil... Walt was luckily home and delivered pretty quickly. :D
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby guitardad » Mon May 12, 2008 7:15 pm

Hello Kitty wrote:I remember that so well! Gosh, it was 3 years ago?!?! Rene from Bob's and I rode up just as Chaz found himself in need of a helicoil... Walt was luckily home and delivered pretty quickly. :D

So after that I bought my own helicoil kit, and haven't needed one since. Hmmmmm..................

Hey, Pam, I need to buy another bike! :P
Chaz
guitardad
Original Oilhead

Postby Blaster229 » Mon May 12, 2008 7:21 pm

Holy christ! All that just to change the oil?? LOL
Blaster229
Ms. Kitty, Jr

Postby MrE » Mon May 12, 2008 7:48 pm

guitardad wrote:So after that I bought my own helicoil kit, and haven't needed one since. Hmmmmm..................

Hey, Pam, I need to buy another bike! :P

Eilenberger's Law of Spares.
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.
Mark Twain,
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Postby Dough Boy » Mon May 12, 2008 8:18 pm

Holleeee Crap.

Thats scary.
Dough Boy

Postby Hello Kitty » Mon May 12, 2008 8:21 pm

One of the dealers offered me a packaged kit of spares I'd possibly need for the IBR. The more likely stuff based on my bike... I'm thinking if I take it, I won't need any of that, but some other obscure thing. If I DON'T take it, I'll need something relatively common and it'll be easier to get. How's that for warped thinking? :D
Kitty
Hello Kitty
Boss of Tina

Postby guitardad » Mon May 12, 2008 10:21 pm

I think you should strap Dough Boy's scooter on the back! :wink:
Chaz
guitardad
Original Oilhead

Postby guitardad » Mon May 12, 2008 10:34 pm

In some quarters, the Oilhead engine was called the "Great Leap Forward." But when you've been building boxer-twin engines for over 70 years, there are bound to be some similarities. Here's the front of Hans' engine...

And here's the front of Clifford's...
While you can't see the chain on the front of the airhead, it's there, behind the black cover. There are some differences - biggest one being the bottom shaft on Hans is the camshaft, while on Clifford it's an intermediate shaft to drive the chains that go up to the camshafts in the heads. But the basics, of a driveshaft up top, with a chain to the valve gear, are still the same. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Chaz
guitardad
Original Oilhead

Postby DogHouse » Tue May 13, 2008 6:51 am

Dough Boy wrote:Holleeee Crap.

Thats scary.

X100

05 R1200GS
97 Craftsman 19hp Riding Mower 42" cut
DogHouse
What? Again? Oy

Postby Ghostrider » Tue May 13, 2008 7:12 am

Hello Kitty wrote:One of the dealers offered me a packaged kit of spares I'd possibly need for the IBR. The more likely stuff based on my bike... I'm thinking if I take it, I won't need any of that, but some other obscure thing. If I DON'T take it, I'll need something relatively common and it'll be easier to get. How's that for warped thinking? :D

Did we miss an announcement?
Ghostrider

Postby guitardad » Tue May 13, 2008 10:30 pm

Pam insisted I show you a better picture of Clifford's "body." Her description is, "He looks like the Scarecrow after the Flying Monkeys got finished with him!" What do you think?

Anyway, back to his heart. Picking up where we left off yesterday, I got the timing chain and oil pump off. We're down to the basic elements, now.

There are a massive number of bolts holding the case together, but the most important ones are the four 10mm bolts that clamp the case together around the main bearings. Two come out of the right side, and two out of the left. So after removing all the bolts from the right side, I laid the case down on my Workmate, with the jaws wide open so the cylinder studs could stick thru.

Another 21 bolts out, and the case came apart - well that and a few love taps with my deadblow hammer! The rear main oil seal stuck to the left side case, so the crankshaft came out with it.

Oh, and I found the rest of that destroyed con rod bearing. I just needed a magnet to do it......

And the question on everyone's mind - What else is there? The main bearings are intact, but a little closer inspection shows they didn't have long to live. Look at the scoring in the right side, front main bearing shell:

Try as I might, I couldn't find any blocked oil passages. The oil should flow from that scored main bearing to the failed con rod through a hole drilled thru the crankshaft. Sure enough, that hole is clear and open. So I'm back to the sight glass failure being the initial cause of the failure. Clifford will get new main bearings, and new oil seals. The pictures will slow down now - the quickest part of any job is the "demolition." But my new set of micrometers arrived today, so I can measure the bearing journals and select the right bearings. I've got the weekend off to head down to Bob's and start buying parts. I'm starting to feel like we're gonna make it. \:D/
Chaz
guitardad
Original Oilhead

PreviousNext

Return to Tech