Help for a newbie?

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

Try Lord Fairfax College or WV DMV

Postby WVrider » Sun Aug 03, 2003 10:34 am

A friend bought a bike in May and took the MSF within 6 weeks in Martinsburg. The class takes one weekend (Friday night, Sat and Sun over by 1:00) It should only take about 1 hour for you to get here.
I think the MSF is a great way to learn and avoid a lot of potential mistakes while riding someone elses bike. It saves on insurance but, more importantly, could save you from costly mistakes. When I started riding there was no training available (in fact WV had no separate motorcycle license you just had to have a car license . . . ) I learned a few lessons the hard way (i.e. bleeding). When the motorcycle licenses became a requirement, I took the MSF and really learned a lot. I took the ERC at the Charleston rally, enjoyed it and learned more again.
Find the class and take it, even if you have to wait. BMW will pay for it and you will not regret it (except perhaps for the classroom portion which can be a little slow.)
In any case, congratulations on the new BMW you will enjoy yourself immensely.

WVrider
WVrider

Postby Tim » Wed Aug 13, 2003 8:30 am

Just wanted to give an update. Jerry rode with me up to the DMV Monday morning and I now have my license. Hope to see some of you out on the roads soon. Banshee, if you're going to take your test at the Sterling DMV, I can let you know what's on the driving test, let me know...
Tim

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 14, 2003 8:32 pm

:D Way to go Tim. Now get out there and ride. Have fun and be careful.

Mark Estes

Newbie 2

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Dec 06, 2003 6:50 pm

Tim wrote:Just wanted to give an update. Jerry rode with me up to the DMV Monday morning and I now have my license. Hope to see some of you out on the roads soon. Banshee, if you're going to take your test at the Sterling DMV, I can let you know what's on the driving test, let me know...

Hi Tim,

I rode for many years, many years ago. Now I am riding again, and have to get my liscense. I would be very interested in what is on the riding portion of the test.

Jim

JimVonBaden@aol.com
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Tim » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:53 pm

Here is a description I PM'ed Banshee with some time ago...

Exercise 1: Pull parallel to a cone and the examiner will stand at a fourth cone and raise a clipboard. When they do, drive to that cone and stop parallel to it. (simple)

Exercise 2: Same as exercise 1, but it's timed so you just need to accelerate quickly (not too fast) and stop (immediately) when the examiner drops the clipboard. (simple too, I stopped so quickly on this my antilock brakes kicked in)

Exercise 3: Stop-and-Go. There are 4 cones and you have to drive to the second and come to a stop (without putting your feet down), then to the third (again, no feet), then finally you put your feet down on the fourth cone. This is the one where I goofed -- I thought by "stop" they meant absolute, but apparently they're more looking for a really good rolling stop.

Exercise 4: U-Turn. They have three cones set up. Two on the ends and one in the middle. You have to go around the middle cone within the widths of the two outside cones. I had been practicing u-turns in a parking lot so I didn't have any trouble with this but apparently a lot of people do so I'd practice. I'm not sure how wide the cones are but when I practiced, I made sure that I could do a complete u-turn inside two regular parking spaces (which is kinda tough), and when I got to this on the test, I felt like I had plenty of room to do the u-turn.

Best of luck...
--tim
Tim

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun Dec 07, 2003 1:04 am

Tim wrote:Here is a description I PM'ed Banshee with some time ago...

Exercise 1: Pull parallel to a cone and the examiner will stand at a fourth cone and raise a clipboard. When they do, drive to that cone and stop parallel to it. (simple)

Exercise 2: Same as exercise 1, but it's timed so you just need to accelerate quickly (not too fast) and stop (immediately) when the examiner drops the clipboard. (simple too, I stopped so quickly on this my antilock brakes kicked in)

Exercise 3: Stop-and-Go. There are 4 cones and you have to drive to the second and come to a stop (without putting your feet down), then to the third (again, no feet), then finally you put your feet down on the fourth cone. This is the one where I goofed -- I thought by "stop" they meant absolute, but apparently they're more looking for a really good rolling stop.

Exercise 4: U-Turn. They have three cones set up. Two on the ends and one in the middle. You have to go around the middle cone within the widths of the two outside cones. I had been practicing u-turns in a parking lot so I didn't have any trouble with this but apparently a lot of people do so I'd practice. I'm not sure how wide the cones are but when I practiced, I made sure that I could do a complete u-turn inside two regular parking spaces (which is kinda tough), and when I got to this on the test, I felt like I had plenty of room to do the u-turn.

Best of luck...
--tim

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the advice! Looks like I wont have too much trouble with it. But it's nice to know what to expect!

Seems like it will be much easier than the school and test I had to take for the military!

Do you do much riding in the winter? I'm looking for a few riding partners!

Thanks,

Jim :)
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Previous

Return to General Chat