Track day - BMWBMW member injured

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

Track day - BMWBMW member injured

Postby jskene » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:52 pm

I am sorry to report that on what was otherwise an excellent track day at Summit Point on Monday, organized by Coleman PowerSports, one of our members, Bob Smyth, (screen name endobobdds), was seriously injured.

His K1200RS went off at turn three, and slid into the retaining wall, pinning Bob to the wall. He suffered several broken bones and a collapsed lung. Fortunately, his prognosis is good, although he will undergoing rehabilitation for several months.

When I get more specific information on where he will be staying during his recovery, I will post it here.
jskene
Board Guru

Postby Banshee » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:00 pm

:(

Yes, please keep us posted, an address to send cards would be good.
Banshee
Board Wizard

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:11 am

Hi everyone,

My name is Jessica Smyth -- I'm Bob Smyth's daughter. My dad is okay, although he is in quite a bit of pain and disoriented, which is expected given the trauma and the medication. Fortunately, he's in great care. He will probably be transfered to a different hospital -- but we are not sure of the timeline or where yet. I don't think he's up to having visitors just yet, but as soon as he is I will definitely get the word out and update you on where they move him. I just wanted to respond to the request for an address to send cards because I know he would love to hear from you all. There's nothing like talking to people who understand the psyche of a motorcycle rider. Our address is 4848 Rockwood Pkwy., NW Washington, DC 20016 Additionally, if it's easier, please feel free to send an e-mail to his account -- endobobdds@aol.com -- and we will print it out and bring it to him.

On a side note, I would just like to thank all of you for sharing time with my dad doing something that he loves so much. He has the highest respect for all of you as riders -- he is always raving about the last rally he was apart of and the people he met. So thank you for being such a wonderful community -- it adds an irreplacable dynamic to his passion for motorcyling.

Again, thank you for your concern and support. We will pass along information as we receive it.

Sincerely,
Jess Smyth

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:51 pm

Hi Bob,

Though we never really had a chance to ride together, I have enjoyed reading your posts.

Get well soon and join us on a RTE (ride to eat) when you feel up to it.

Let us know if their is anything we can do to help!

Jim 8)

JimVonBaden@comcast.net
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Guest » Sat Aug 28, 2004 6:57 pm

Hi everyone!

I'm at a computer station for patients at Naval Hospital Bethesda. Should be going home on Monday. As stated, I was having a very nice day at Summit Point until the first session for the intermediate riders after lunch. I suspect that I went down for two reasons. I found myself in a slightly faster group and my tires were cold after the lunch break.

I don't remember anything of the accident. I apparently went wide on the 3rd turn and ran into a retaining wall of rubber tires. I was unconsious for 25 minutes; collapsed my right lung; fractured my lower right leg with slight pelvic fractures (non weight bearing for 6 weeks); broke 8 ribs and the clavical on the right side.

Aria helmet, full Held leathers, gauntlet glooves, boots, etc all did their job. All injuries should heal uneventfully. Hope to be back to work in another 5 weeks and back on the bike in a month or two.

Thanks uou for your prayers and warm wishes.

Bob Smyth

Postby DUKR » Sun Aug 29, 2004 7:18 am

Anonymous wrote:Hi everyone!

I'm at a computer station for patients at Naval Hospital Bethesda. Should be going home on Monday. As stated, I was having a very nice day at Summit Point until the first session for the intermediate riders after lunch. I suspect that I went down for two reasons. I found myself in a slightly faster group and my tires were cold after the lunch break.

I don't remember anything of the accident. I apparently went wide on the 3rd turn and ran into a retaining wall of rubber tires. I was unconsious for 25 minutes; collapsed my right lung; fractured my lower right leg with slight pelvic fractures (non weight bearing for 6 weeks); broke 8 ribs and the clavical on the right side.

Aria helmet, full Held leathers, gauntlet glooves, boots, etc all did their job. All injuries should heal uneventfully. Hope to be back to work in another 5 weeks and back on the bike in a month or two.

Thanks uou for your prayers and warm wishes.

Bob Smyth

Bob!! So happy to see your post! I've been thinking about you and hoping the recovery process was going ok... We've all been worried about you!
Glad to hear the bones are all healing (geesh, but didya hafta involve so MANY?!?!?)... Have they put you in casts we can write nasty things about you on? :wink:
What will happen with your bike?

Again, glad to have you back!! :D
DUKR

Postby Qijote » Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:04 pm

Bob:
Very glad you are recovering well. It great to see you can post messages again.
Roy
Qijote
Board Guru

Return to General Chat