Tastes better, less filling

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

Tastes better, less filling

Postby RocketMan » Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:11 am

After 5 years I decided it was time to start having some fun with this bike, looks wise and do some mods. So first major mod (besides removal of air injector and bigger front sprocket and tires) was to replace the flyscreen with something more sporting. Found a nice quarter fairing on Amazon for around $70, already painted a dark grey with gray windscreen that fit a 7 inch headlight so figured I'd give it a shot. Took some trimming around the upper fairing to clear the handlebars and controls, a bit fiddling with bar position and mounting hardware that came with it, but all in all, it seems to be working. Took it out for an initial test ride and have to say its a VAST improvement over the flyscreen. Much better wind deflection and comfort, less buffeting and even without the addition of some extra mounts (see pics below) amazingly stable. After adding some extra mounts for the upper part, trimming with my dremel tool cutting wheel and adding some rubber edging around the screen, looking pretty good.
Since it had a small flat area under the screen, I thought what I great place to mount some instruments and move my volt meter from the handle bar inside the fairing and then added a clock, looking to add an air temp gauge as well. Display on the volt meter does not get so washed out in sunlight due to the smoked windscreen.
After the first test ride, come home and told the wife "10% increase in HP, (to which she said "WTF" i.e. seriously doubtful), 20% increase in topend (Yeah, right!), beer tastes better, and you look even sexier than usual!" at which point she said, "well in that case, you just go for a ride on that ANY OLD TIME YOU WANT!!" :D :D :D
After replacing the grips, that were getting pretty ragged, with ones that had little red "x's", I thought maybe I'll get some Red edging for the screen rather than the black and I found a car body shop near me that is owned by a biker who will do pin-stripes to match the tank around the outside edges for $50. And I am about half way to saving funds to get the tuned exhaust and Power Commander made specifically for the FI SR400 from Australia.
So now the pics

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Re: Tastes better, less filling

Postby phil.ager » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:53 pm

Lookin Good there, Jeff!
Both your retro-racer and yourself would fit in nicely here in HSV, and our chums in the North Alabama Vintage M/C Club.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/NorthAlabamaVintageMotorcycleClub/

We met them quite by accident when we spied a 'sporty Airhead' parked out front of the Green Bus Brewery on the sidewalk one Tuesday night. We've been eating out much more now that we're in a 'modestly-sized' Hometown with some friendly Vintage Bikers. :bigdrink: We've also been supporting the Blue Plate Cafe nearby every Sat morning (even eating in the parking lot when Covid struck). :feedme:

Enjoy your backroads rides as best U can! :rider: You know all about the best backroads up that way.
Looks like most every rally we had planned to attend is now put off until 2021 - including Alaska... :-({|= But some of the ALaBeemers will be camping at the Blue Ridge M/C Campground in NC next weekend... :wave:
Ciao! Phil & Karen
phil.ager

Re: Tastes better, less filling

Postby RocketMan » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:09 pm

Thanks!

Instead of paying $50 for someone else to do the pinstripping I figured I'd give it shot first. Found some dual line pinstripe tape at the local auto store that looked to be a pretty close match color and width wise for $7. It's a bit wider by .05 Inches but pretty close in color. First I did the fairing and it came out pretty good, if I do say so myself. Then just for shits and grins I decided to extend it along the back of the mirrors since they are pretty close in in line with the top of fairing where the pin stripes end.
With both additions I took it out for several rides, definitely another 5% increase in performance :D :D (or maybe it's just me??)

This bike is becoming Really dangerously fast :lol: :lol: :lol: (or again, maybe it's just me??), but I really do think its more stable at speed and certainly more comfortable at speed, wind battering wise.

In two weeks I'm taking it for a 6 day, 5 night ride down and back the BlueRidge Parkway and Skyline Drive, staying at all my favorite places, Peaks of Otter Lodge, Woodberry Inn at Meadows of Dan, The Alpine Inn in Little Switzerland NC then down to the highest point on the parkway and back to Meadows of Dan and finally Big Meadows Lodge on Skyline Drive. The entire time I will at or above 3000 feet and hopefully much cooler than the surrounding lowlands!

RM
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Return to General Chat