HVAC References

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

HVAC References

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi,

Who can recommend an HVAC company for doing an annual service and some other work? I have three house vents I want replaced, because they are broken, and I am not up for a 30' climb on a ladder to do it.

Thanks!

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Re: HVAC References

Postby Genen8kua » Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:48 pm

Hi Jim,

I don't have any knowledge of HVAC people in your area. The vents, though, are probably more of a handyman job, and maybe whoever did your siding (recent?) might do a call. Those all look like bath or dryer vents, so there will be a length of 4" or so flexible duct going through the attic on the other side of the wall. Maybe someone can repair it just from the outside, but they may need to go up in the attic. It's a good idea to clean them out (long hose on a shop vac), as someone could nest (or could've nested) in there. But not rocket science and I bet a handyman type would do it for less than an HVAC contractor (who may not want to mess with it at all). Gene
Gene
2016 S1000XR
2007 R1200GS

What happens in the helmet stays in the helmet.
Genen8kua
GO COWBOYS!

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:27 pm

Genen8kua wrote:Hi Jim,

I don't have any knowledge of HVAC people in your area. The vents, though, are probably more of a handyman job, and maybe whoever did your siding (recent?) might do a call. Those all look like bath or dryer vents, so there will be a length of 4" or so flexible duct going through the attic on the other side of the wall. Maybe someone can repair it just from the outside, but they may need to go up in the attic. It's a good idea to clean them out (long hose on a shop vac), as someone could nest (or could've nested) in there. But not rocket science and I bet a handyman type would do it for less than an HVAC contractor (who may not want to mess with it at all). Gene

Very true. I say HVAC guy because my system is 7 years old and should probably be serviced. While here, they can do this too, maybe. I would do it, by I don't have a 30' ladder, and ny 54 year old knee missing cartilage would make it unsafe. True though, I can access them from the inside of the attic for cleaning.

Thanks,

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby Genen8kua » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:53 am

Yup, just like our bikes, annual service every few years is a good idea. :twisted: Don't get me started on colonoscopies. :lol:

I suspect the HVAC person either won't want to do it or will need to charge you HVAC rates to do the work. You never know till you ask though.

Hey, isn't there someone in the club with the ladder and skills (and maybe in need of a valve check or throttle body synch)? PM our friend Jim!
Gene
2016 S1000XR
2007 R1200GS

What happens in the helmet stays in the helmet.
Genen8kua
GO COWBOYS!

Return to General Chat