Bumot to Jesse comparisons. Lots of photos and stats.

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

Bumot to Jesse comparisons. Lots of photos and stats.

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:26 pm

So, I have been a Jesse guy for almost 14 years now, off and on. I have had 3 sets, and one set I had made that are copies of Jesses, more or less.

My 1999 in 2004:

My 2005 in 2006:

My 05 in 2014:
These were my design, based loosely on Jesses. My favorite paniers, custom made for me. The mounts were designed by Kirk, and awesome.

Now to my 2015 GS. These Jesses I purchased used:

Solid luggage I have had for three years.

I also installed around 2 dozen sets of Jesse luggage on a variety of bikes. I even created the instructions for Al Jesse on 8 different bikes. This is to say I am very familiar with Jesse Luggage, both good and bad.

I never had much interest in changing out the Jesses, despite some issues with some aspects of them. That is, until I helped a friend get new luggage on his new GSAw. We were at the Vermont MOA Rally and came across the Bumots. I was somewhat familiar with them from here, but ad not seen them in person. He jumped on the chance for getting a good rally deal, and had a nice set of luggage to take him home.

His bike with new Bumots, and next to mine at the hotel near the rally:

I was impressed with them, and lusted after them the last year or so. The reason why them over the Jesses?

I was not crazy about the Jesse latches. Not good looking, marginally secure, and clunky. They tended to tear up the powder coating around them.

I fixed them with some cheap Chinese draw latches. These have been on almost 2 years. Big improvement for $5 a lock.

Other issues with the Jesses, racks that rusted far too easily. Paint not powder coating. Why they never went with Stainless, at least as an option, I will never understand.

Overall the look is OK, but becoming antiquated which I can deal with, but with the other issues, and slow to remove and the marbled powder coating on the panniers, it was time for something new. Don't get me wrong, these are seriously stout panniers, with strong mounts, and adjustable, but I was still lusting after the Bumots.

Enter Adam, and he was lusting after mine, and swap was engineered.

Pluses to the Bumots, a modern look, great mounting system with easy on and off and goes right on the SS racks from the GSAw. (To be fair, Jesse offers a direct mount to the GSAw racks too, more later.)

The look:

I like the, Rugged looking, smooth powder coating, and clean.

So, I made the deal today, and began the changover. I already knew that the passenger peg mounts would be an issue. I will cut them if I can't arrange a swap for the GSA pegs.

The Vario mount wing needs to go to fit them. I mounted the racks without them for now.

We have all seen the racks, so no need to go into detail on them and mounting. Suffice it to say that the same bolts hold the Jesses on, except the right side which utilizes the shock mount bolt.

Installed:

One note on the rack, to install it you need to remove the muffler to access the foot peg mounts.

From then on it is just latch in the new Bumots:

The top case is another issue. I didn't get the GSAw rack for it from Adam, he still needs it, so I have bought one from an inmate, but do not have it yet. Still, I held the top case in place for photos:

I will follow up when I get the rack in, but you can see it on earlier photos of my friend's GSAw.

Stats comparisons, in inches:

Jesse:
Top Case:
* 45 liters, (9 pounds measured)
* 7.2 pounds (Measured 9 pounds)
* 17W X 15L X 12 high

Left Pannier:
* 52.7 liters
* 9.6 pounds Listed (Measured 12.9 pounds)
* 10W X 20L X 17 high

Right Pannier:
* 9 pounds Listed (Measured 12.5 pounds)
* 42.2 liters (cut out for exhaust)
* 10W X 20L X 17 high

Rack weight unknown. Measured 8.2 pounds.

Bumots:

Top Case:
* 12.7 pounds Listed (Measured 13.2 pounds)
* 41 liters
* 15 L X 13W X 13.4 high

Left Pannier:
* Weight unknown, (Measured 14.5 pounds)
* 45 liters
* 10.2 W X 7.7L X 16.2 high

Right Pannier:
* Weight unknown, (Measured 12.5 pounds)
* 39 liters (Cut out for Exhaust)
* 10.2 W X 7.7L X 16.2 high

The Jesses weigh considerably more than the listed weight. I suspect that is weight without any mounting brackets. The Bumots weight more than the Jesses, and I suspect that is the latches are heavier. I weighed the Jesse latches off the pannier, since I replaced them with the Chinese latches. The Chinese latches weigh about 2 ounces each, the Jesses weigh 5 ounces, so add 6 ounces to each Jesse side pannier and 3 ounces to the top case.

Factory Rack weight unknown. (I will try to weigh them.)

Mounted Width 37.25 inches

Personally I really like the look of them, the SS racks, the SS hardware and the positive locking and removal.

I will be adding the Bumot tool box, though I will have to fab a mount for it, I will post that as well.

Another interesting observation. The Bumots will mount to the Jesse racks with just a slight ovaling of the upper mounting/locking latch holes:

I have no doubt that the Jesses would easily be mountable to the factory racks with a similar ovaling of the Jesse upper mount holes. I will shoot a photo of it tomorrow.

Lastly, a few comparison shots:

There is no doubt that I gave up some capacity in liters, though the shape of the Bumots makes up for it by being more square. I will, however, miss not having the in-lid storage for my rain suit.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Re: Bumot to Jesse comparisons. Lots of photos and stats.

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:16 pm

I noticed something unexpected today. My messenger bag, that I use like a briefcase, fit much easier in the Bumot. At first I couldn't figure out why. Then I realized that though the opening is only 1/4" wider, but bottom of the Bumot is essentially square, instead of the large angled parts on 3 of four sides of the Jesses. Apparently those angles took up significant space, as does the angles on the lid. The Bumots are not as tall, but all those angles make normal stuff not fit as well.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Return to General Chat