Octoberfest?

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

Octoberfest?

Postby Wild Pig » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:23 pm

So, we doing Octoberfest at WestMar this year?
Jim

tunc non est ut sues
Wild Pig
Frequent Oinker

Re: Octoberfest?

Postby Bicyclist » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:50 pm

It was cancelled. Dunno why.
George

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons
Bicyclist
A.K.A. SANTA!!!

Postby bdimon » Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:27 pm

Unfortunately, we had to cancel Oktoberfest at Camp West Mar because of the cost. Previously, the American Legion let us have the weekend for free or next to nothing since we rented out a June weekend every year. Now that the YMCA owns Camp West Mar, there are no more freebies. It would have cost the club about $1,400 to rent the camp and we just could not justify that expense for the small number of club members that attend. Any overnight stay is automatically two full days rental.

A fall camp out for the club needs to cost less. I'm disappointed but need to preserve the club's good financial standing.

On Sunday October 1, we plan to go up to Camp West Mar to clear out the club's "locker" and move gear to a new (and weatherproof) shed. The old army surplus locker leaks badly and mold is growing.
Bruce Dimon
2020 F900XR
President :D
bdimon
Board Guru

Postby stevebmw » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:35 am

Bruce (et al),

With all the group things I put together for Morton's BMW, Horizons Unlimited, etc., I end up looking at lots of places for events. Depending on the size of the group you have -- it's been a long time since I was at a club Oktoberfest -- I can probably suggest a couple of places to investigate. From a small lodge building at a state park to a summer camp for kids that would be open to other groups in the fall, if you want some ideas, drop me a note or give me a call, I'll be happy to help.
Steve Anderson
2002 R1150GS
Morton's BMW Motorcycles
Your HQ for GS fun!
Fredericksburg, Virginia
540-891-9844
steve@mortonsbmw.com
http://www.mortonsbmw.com
stevebmw
Board Viking

Postby PeaBrain » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:29 am

That is sad to hear. As a returning member, having been a member in the 80's-90's, I was looking forward to meeting new people and seeing some old members. Somehow I must have missed the cancellation notice, I guess I can put my sleeping bag away for another decade. :(
PeaBrain

Postby Wild Pig » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:47 am

Disappointing, but I understand. Octoberfest was my favorite BMW2 event.
Jim

tunc non est ut sues
Wild Pig
Frequent Oinker

Postby dcgsrider » Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:01 pm

This might sound like a bit of "gripe", but the Oktoberfest (or lack thereof) was discussed by the Board at the last two club meetings. In short we could not justify the expense of >$1500 including food. There may have been a way to salvage the event if more members would participate in club meetings, and offer their opinions and potential solutions.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:11 am

Club participation has been a bit of an oxymoron for the past few years. Stuff doesn't happen if people do not show support.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby dcgsrider » Sat Sep 23, 2017 4:00 pm

JimVonBaden wrote:Club participation has been a bit of an oxymoron for the past few years. Stuff doesn't happen if people do not show support.

Jim :cool:

Yes, Jim it has. A number of times since I've been on the Board there have been fewer than ten members at monthly meetings--out of a membership of 300 or so. It's hard for the Board to respond to a membership that's essentially mute.

If there had been a great outcry for continuing Oktoberfest as an overnight camping event, things might have turned out differently, and a less costly alternative found. Overall, it seems camping rallies are on the decline, across the board.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Return to General Chat