Shout Out to the new Safety Chair!

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

Shout Out to the new Safety Chair!

Postby originalbob » Tue May 30, 2017 2:03 pm

I just wanted to give a shout out to our new Safety Chair, Lorenzo Washington on his 2 page story in the current BTS.

This is an issue which I hope and expect will be talked about much more frequently in the future and he's spot on that educating the 96% (this % varies all the time) of the public which do not operate motorcycles will be an even greater obstacle than getting enough politicans to say "sure, give it a try."

I’ve been doing the lane splitting thing for decades in CA when there which is often once a year plus in countless other countries over an even longer time frame where it’s the act of the day when on 2 wheels. In fact vehicle operators in many other countries often drive on the shoulders to allow motorcycles to get ahead. And in cities and towns there is almost always space at the head of the line at traffic signals for a fair number of bikes of all sizes to filter through and take the lead positions.

I often “filter” here at home when traffic has come to a halt and there’s room for me to safely make it to the front of the line or some texting butt head has left space for a tractor and trailer several vehicles ahead of me and I’ve identified the situation as being safe and believe there’s no one within my sight lines that might take me to task legally. I must also admit I've been very tempted to spend the $200 (+-) bucks for one of Andy Goldfine's (Aerostitch) Lane Split Test license plate frames and see if I can do this more often, again when it seems to be a safe bet.

Ride safe, be seen, take chances and calculate all the risks every time!

Bob Henig
Past BMWBMW Prez
Owner & Enthusiast @ Bob's BMW
originalbob

Re: Shout Out to the new Safety Chair!

Postby JimVonBaden » Tue May 30, 2017 6:13 pm

Lorenzo is definitely a great new asset to the club! =D>

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Re: Shout Out to the new Safety Chair!

Postby eap » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:35 pm

concur!
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Return to General Chat