"sailing" on the Queen Mary

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

"sailing" on the Queen Mary

Postby RocketMan » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:23 pm

So not exacting "sailing" since it's in permanent dock but let's not get to picky.....
Tomorrow we change to one that actually Does sail and down the coast toward Mexico for 7 days.
And it's much warmer on the left Coast!
RM
Attachments
20170303_095456-Edit.jpg
20170303_102155-Edit.jpg
20170303_095314-Edit.jpg
Fromerly MR. MonkeyButt now Mr. Breezy-Butt!
http://roadrunes.com

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

"I think you're a NUT!"- Tina
RocketMan
Board Wizard

Re: "sailing" on the Queen Mary

Postby mlytle » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:28 pm

nice timing! this may be the coldest weekend of the year out here. 20deg sunday morning....and there were snow flurries today!
Marshall
92 K75s
94 K75s
09 K1300s
mlytle
Frequent Poster

Postby JimVonBaden » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:30 am

I've been there a few times! Pretty cool!

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby RocketMan » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:26 pm

Yeah, pretty kool place to stay (but damn pricey!) and right across from the Carnival dock so easy walk to board the ship Sat. Eat a nice little waterfront place Friday with one of Jeanne's old friends. The ship sure does need some TLC, but not surprising given its age. Got a kool flask with built-in collapsible shot glass and a little Old timey Drink Travel Kit to make Moscow Mule's.
My folks and my Sister actually did a trans-Atlantic crossing in the Queen Mary back in 1951 but that was before they got me in late 51. At one and half years of age, rather doubt I would have remembered much had I been with them!
Got a lot of photos of that and the three ports we visited, Cabo, (that we both know well), Mazatlán and Porta Viarta, the last two we have never visited before but are planning on going back for a longer stay. Lots of back streets to explore in both once you get out of the tourist area and found some really nice local restaurants out of the tourist areas where the locals eat.
Tons of pics but will take a while to process them, mostly taken while wondering the back streets, love all the balconies and brightly painted houses and old doors and iron gates where you see the many courtyards sitting quietly behind the walls.

RM

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts" - Daniel Patrick Moynihan

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:02 pm

A few pics from my trip
A wannabe cruiser parked out front of the HD Cafe at the Cabo harbor

its actually a 200 CC twin in Cruiser Clothing :D

And a true Rat bike, Mexican Style

And when they say "2 4 one" they mean it, and you get them both at once!

and some old(er) fart that kept following me around Cabo.. Ha Ha!

The first two set of pictures, first gallery from the Queen Mary and the next one from the first two days on the cruise down the coast of Baja and a day in Cabo, are here
http://www.roadrunes.com/gallery3/index.php/Mexican-Rivera-Cruise-2017

Damn, but I love that place!

RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:10 pm

Looking good Jeff!

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby RocketMan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:42 pm

a few shots of the place we found to eat in Mazatlán. A block off the main drag along the beach road/tourist district we found a nice local, as in where the locals eat, not tourists open air restaurant. Had 6 fresh large ousters on the half shell, for me, with a fresh locally made Mexican :explode: HOT :explode: sauce. Jeanne had three very nice shrimp tacos and I had Marlin tacos. Including 2 beers total bill was $15 US. A block away on the main drag at the (slightly) fancier water front places we would have paid probably $45~55 for the same thing. And without the local atmosphere; Sweet! Never had Marlin (as in the fish) before, very nice smoky flavor, deep red in color and very firm and very tasty! Nice find, wish we could get fresh Marlin here!

an exterior shot, my camera was having focus problems at the time but still....

As we were getting ready to leave, I noticed the guy at the counter in the background of the first shot, where most of the food was prepared, "washing" ( I use the term lightly!) the dishes. He had a hose running down from the roof/overhang into a bucket with a kitchen sink style tap in the side that he would run the dishes under while wiping them with his hand; note with his hand only, no need for soap, right? :roll: Then he would stack them to the side. Simple, down (and dirty?)! :shock: Didn't tell Jeanne about it til after we had eaten and were leaving! Ha Ha! Figured it was best told After the fact. :lol:

Visited the local open air/semi-enclosed market and wondered around in it, everything in one place, literally. Pictures coming soon.

Great place if you stay mostly in the old town to really get a feel for the place, as is usual in most of Mexico.

RM
Last edited by RocketMan on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Postby RocketMan » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:16 pm

A few more pics here,

The bottle of Tequila I got in Cabo at the Tequila store i get the really good stuff from.
I think the name is kind of silly and cheap sounding, "Supremo" really? ( at least its not "El Supremo"! :lol:) but the contents are anything but!

The deep, rich color says it all, aged 12 years in Oak barrels really gives it a darker color than your usual Anejo. This is actually an "Extra Anejo" a designation reserved for a longer aging process, at least 36 months.This is a brand you can't find in the US, not even any info on this bottling, just general info on the distillery where its made, Tequila Supremo, S. A. de C. V.

Close up of the lower label with the registration/series numbers.

The travel drink kit for making Moscow Mules, actually made one yesterday, pretty good. Since it only came with a 1 oz. bottle of ginger syrup decided to make my own as its not available at my local Wegmans.
Instructions from the card in the kit are "using 1/2 oz jigger put 1/2 oz syrup in a glass, "Procure a Mini-bottle of Vodka" add slice of fresh lime, and procure a can of club soda."

the kit

1/2 oz jigger, small spoon, 1 oz of ginger syrup, and a linen coaster.

Feel just like a wary (or perhaps weary?) traveller of old!

And the neat ( do people even use that word any more?) travel flask with built in collapsible shot glass.

As you can tell, we had a great trip. Will post up mazatlán shots on my web site soon, finished processing them today. Just have to process the last set from Porta Viarte.
We definitively plan on return trips to stay longer than a day at both, so many back streets, interesting markets, old churches, and local eateries to explore!.

RM

RocketMan
Board Wizard

Return to General Chat