Navigator 5 expansion question

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

Navigator 5 expansion question

Postby rfk757 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:31 am

I am going to rent a R1200RT in late April in UK and ride through France and Spain for a couple of weeks. I have a Navigator 5 on my R1200RT here in Virginia, and would like to take the device with me for my European ride. I have to pay an extra daily fee to use the GPS on the UK bike, hence my desire to take my own.

My question is this...the internal memory is almost full with the USA maps on my device, and am wondering if I can simply add the Europe map to the micro SD slot in the battery bay. I really do not want to wipe the US maps off my own device if I can simply add the card to have it reside side by side with the internal memory. I plan to make further European trips, either by shipping my own bike, or renting again.

Any help with this would be most welcome. Many thanks...

Rory Kay
Warrenton
2020 K1600B GA
rfk757

Re: Navigator 5 expansion question

Postby JimVonBaden » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:27 pm

Yes, it works fine that way. You can load maps and music on the SD card and it will work. For music, just make sure they are MP3 instead of MP4.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby rfk757 » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:50 pm

That's grand thanks! Hadn't even thought of using it for music.

Cheers - Rory
2020 K1600B GA
rfk757

Postby rfk757 » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:13 am

So I had a fantastic ride through France, ending up in the D Day landing are of Normandy. I can write more about it if anyone is interested in how I did the renting, the issues etc.

Main reason for this post is to say the GPS worked fairly well with the European card in it, but it gave me several erroneous instructions for the routes, including one that drove me into the grounds a private chateau. Also a few freeze ups..... But I am really glad I had it.

Rory
2020 K1600B GA
rfk757

Return to General Chat