Sidecar Class Recommendations

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

Sidecar Class Recommendations

Postby Maria V » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:51 am

I think a few of you have taken a class, probably in NoVA. Where did you go and what is your feedback? And did they supply the rig?
Maria
Retired Presidente
Kermit's Ride Rule: "Don't hit the person in front of you and no whining."
2009 F650GS - "Moose" Veni, Vidi, Vroom!
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Re: Sidecar Class Recommendations

Postby JimVonBaden » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:13 am

Apex gives them in NoVA. Since a sidecar license if required to ride one, unless you have a grandfathered "M" license, they have one specific to three wheelers. Dina took it a couple of months ago for her Spyder. It was very good and the teachers are excellent. They have Spyders available, but if you want to take the class in a sidecar, you will need to supply it. You could take the class in a Spyder and still have the same cert in the end. Not ideal for a real beginner though. The Spyders provided are standard transmissions though.

The class is given at Potomac Mills parking lot in Woodbridge.

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby dcgsrider » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:57 am

Virginia is somewhat of an outlier in having separate M2 and M3 class licensure. Maria is in Maryland, and there is no distinction.

If you really want to learn on a "sidecar" (not a trike or Spyder) I would recommend the classes conducted by the Virginia Rider Training Program. They have sidecars, trikes, and Spyders available and they travel around the state with a mobile unit offering classes. You might have to go to Richmond to take the class though.

As Jim mentioned, us "old farts" in Virginia licensed prior to a few years ago automatically have the "M" class, which is no longer issued by DMV to new licensees unless you pass both a two-wheel and three-wheel class, or go to DMV and test on both. (Both of those would be exceedingly rare for a newbie). Not sure what happens if you come to Va. from out-of-state with an "M" endorsement.**

**Va. DMV uses the term "class" not "endorsement."
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby Maria V » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:54 pm

Thank you both for the feedback. If anyone else has experience to share, pipe up!
Maria
Retired Presidente
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby Maria V » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:54 pm

Thank you both for the feedback. If anyone else has experience to share, pipe up!
Maria
Retired Presidente
Maria V
Attack Ninja

Postby Chiba » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:31 pm

Northern Virginia Community College does 3-wheel classes out of the Loudon campus. They supply a tiny rig for those who don't own one.

I do not have extensive experience on a Spyder, but I can say it is nothing like a sidecar rig.
BMW MOA Digital News Editor www.bmwmoa.org
- 05 R1200GS - 98 K1200RS + Hannigan Classic sidecar -
Chiba
The FUNNY One

Postby JimVonBaden » Fri Feb 03, 2017 10:43 pm

Chiba wrote:Northern Virginia Community College does 3-wheel classes out of the Loudon campus. They supply a tiny rig for those who don't own one.

I do not have extensive experience on a Spyder, but I can say it is nothing like a sidecar rig.

Wes, you are absolutely right, There is no comparison. You will have a license, but no applicable skills if you use the Spyder to qualify, but want a side car rig!

Jim :cool:
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby dcgsrider » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:31 pm

Chiba wrote:Northern Virginia Community College does 3-wheel classes out of the Loudon campus. They supply a tiny rig for those who don't own one.

NOVA *did* offer the classes, but it's been on hiatus for a few years. When I was at NOVA, we struggled to get sign-ups and ended up canceling the classes due to lack of interest. I think they do sidecar/trike/Spyder classes in Winchester (Five-Star) more consistently, using the Virginia Rider Training Program's mobile 3-wheel unit.
Paul Wilson
Arlington, Va.
2009 R1200GS "Franz" Namibia Orange
IBA# 12143
KI4PW
dcgsrider
Board Guru

Postby ERC Scott » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:05 pm

Thanks Paul, Here's what I found on their website. I assume trike school isn't every weekend.

EVERGREEN TRIKE SCHOOL (S/TEP Program)

All S/TEP training held at the Winchester Training Location
Friday 6:00PM - 9:30PM
Saturday AND Sunday 7:00AM - 5:00PM
$225.00 per student
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Postby ERC Scott » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:05 pm

I just learned today at the annual MD Instructor Update that the MSF 3-Wheel Basic Rider Course is now offered in Maryland by HD Frederick. The link is shown below, but a synopsis is: training is trike-centric and they have several 2017 Harley-Davidson Free Wheeler program trikes whose use is included with registration; options exist to substitute your own 3-wheeler; class is limited to 6 students; classes are held once/month; weekend or weekday options are available.
If interested I highly recommend you contact Missy (MSF Training Center Manager) at HDF 301-694-8177 and she can give you guidance. Missy knows me, so feel free to drop my name.

http://www.hdoffrederick.com/sign-up-fo ... der-course
2016 R1200RS
2005 R1200 GS
2015 1290 SuperDuke-R

You don't choose your life, you live it.
ERC Scott
Board Wizard

Return to General Chat