Good way to get started?

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

Good way to get started?

Postby SIGSTER » Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:21 pm

:D I just joined BMWBMW in November. Now with the holidays over and looking forward to better weather, what is the best way to get started in the club?
SIGSTER

Post!

Postby Banshee » Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:08 pm

It's a requirement that you must post on these boards every day for a year, then your induction will occur. Did you see Eyes Wide Shut?...it's like that :wink:

I kid I kid!

I'm fairly new myself. I went to the Holiday Party to meet fellow bmwbmwers but I have yet to ride with any. Mostly because I got my FIRST bike late this past summer then I went away on business to Dayton, OH for three weeks. From what little I've heard and read in Between the Spokes club member participation is something they're trying to boost.

I'm sure someone with more of a clue can answer your question more appropriately. Welcome!

It's snowing out :) :(
Banshee
Board Wizard

Postby kioolt » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:16 am

The first thing I did when I joined the club was to send everybody $10.
kioolt
Frequent Poster

Postby Anton » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:05 am

kioolt wrote:The first thing I did when I joined the club was to send everybody $10.

What he said! :)

Show up at the next meeting. This isn't exactly good riding weather but there is historically a good turnout at the meetings at Bob's. Bob usually puts on quite an event with plenty of snacks, and sometimes has some extra-good deals for that day only. You'll meet a bunch of people and at least hear firsthand about the events that are planned in the next few months.

Maybe he'll know something else about the R1200GS by then. Wow, is that going to be a great bike. Oh yeah, bring your insurance policy because I think one speaker will be an insurance guy talking about proper coverage.
Anton Largiader
The Muffin Man
http://vamotorrad.com
Anton
Board Wizard

Getting started

Postby SIGSTER » Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:00 pm

Thanks. I bought my bike from Bob's and will definitely try to make it to the next meeting.
SIGSTER

Postby Qijote » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:25 pm

Attend the breakfast rides. You meet club members and have a fun ride.
Roy
Qijote
Board Guru

Breakfast rides

Postby Guest » Mon Jan 26, 2004 11:47 pm

I thought about the breakfast rides a couple of times but wasn't sure if they go all the time. Do members always meet no matter what the weather?

Re: Good way to get started?

Postby MrE » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:44 pm

SIGSTER wrote::D I just joined BMWBMW in November. Now with the holidays over and looking forward to better weather, what is the best way to get started in the club?

Sigster,
Show up at Bob's on 2/8 at 11:00am. Introduce yourself to as many people as you can. I'll be the one giving the Treasurer's report. Be sure and say hi. I'll be glad to introduce you around. If you want, show up early for the BOD meeting. Not sure where it will be yet, but keep checking the website as it will be posted and is open to all member's.

Main thing you have to do is just show up and make yourself available.

Want to really get involved? Volunteer for a committee. It really isn't that much work and you really get to meet a lot of people. We have some really big dogs in this club - people involved in both national BMW clubs, amazing long distance riders like Paul Taylor and Don Arthur to name two, writers like Bob Higdon and Bill Shaw, etc etc etc.

Be sure to mark the first weekend in June down as the date for the Square Route Rally in Thurmont. It is a great time.
MrE
Adventurer Wannabe

Re: Breakfast rides

Postby Qijote » Tue Jan 27, 2004 10:56 pm

Anonymous wrote:I thought about the breakfast rides a couple of times but wasn't sure if they go all the time. Do members always meet no matter what the weather?

I didn't attend this month's bkfts 'cause I was overseas so I couldn't tell if the mtgs always happen, but I've attended the MD and Balto bkfsts most of the time, and we met no matter what the weather.

Roy
Qijote
Board Guru

Feb Meeting

Postby Banshee » Thu Jan 29, 2004 7:29 pm

I think the husband and I will be at the 2/8 meeting at Bob's. We haven't been to a meeting yet and if I can't ride my bike I at least want to be around bike stuff and bike people :P

-holley
Banshee
Board Wizard

Doing OK

Postby hollywood » Fri Jan 30, 2004 11:39 am

Well, since you also live in Mt. Airy and saw that I do as well, I think a good start is emailing me like you did to say hello and lets go for a ride sometime. This message board allows (for those who share) us to do just that. Email someone or chat in here to say let's enjoy our riding passion and go for a ride! And by watching the posts, I can imagine you will be quite involved and have many riding partners by spring.

Kudos!
hollywood

Return to General Chat