Helmet Cam = wiretapping charge

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

Helmet Cam = wiretapping charge

Postby pbharvey » Sun May 09, 2010 9:52 am

Brian
R1200C Montana for sale.
Good enough for James Bond, good enough for you.

Replace your heating and cooling system and receive a $1500 Tax Credit.
pbharvey
Board Wizard

Re: Helmet Cam = wiretapping charge

Postby Georgeinva » Sun May 09, 2010 11:12 am

The guy on the bike should go to jail, for the way he was riding. The wire tap charge should be dropped that law should be changed, it is not 1970 anymore. I find it interesting that the police, ABC, NBC and others can capture audio and video to catch bad guys but ordinary citizens can not.
Gridlock Motors
7155 Opal rd
Warrenton VA. 20186
(571) 318 2472
http://www.beemersuberalles.com
http://www.gridlockmotors.com/

"It needs to be about 20% cooler "
Georgeinva
Board Guru

Postby sundaeman » Sun May 09, 2010 1:05 pm

While squidwerd was apparently driving like a total bonehead, I think the pursuing the wire charge is a bit over the top & might be opening a can of worms. I wouldn't be surprised to see changes to the law introduced in the next legislative session.
2006 R1200RT-P

"Who is John Galt?"
sundaeman
Unhappily Ranked

Postby rickrwh » Sun May 09, 2010 3:42 pm

So why did the officer unholster his weapon? Was he going to shoot him? Was Squidly Bonehead being threatening? The officer sure seemed quick to draw. :Blaster:
Professional instigator :D
rickrwh
Frequent Poster

Postby Joints4sale » Sun May 09, 2010 4:13 pm

The problem is that the squid had the camera and not the trooper. If the state would use some of the money that I donate to the MSP on a routine basis to put cameras in their cars then they could have charged the fool with reckless driving. So the lesson learned is to disable the microphone, not ride properly.
Joints4sale

Postby JimVonBaden » Sun May 09, 2010 4:54 pm

Already discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=16137

Jim :brow
JimVonBaden
Smooth Motorcycle Operator

Postby streetdoc » Sun May 09, 2010 5:06 pm

Each state sets it own laws about recording others, in Virginia only one party needs to know, in Maryland both party's need to know. So, the charge in Maryland is valid, but with the camera on his head who knows what a jury will think when the police officer says that he didn't know he was being recorded. It is real common and recommended within the gun rights groups in Virginia to carry a small voice recorder and turn it on with any police encounter. That has gotten several people some unexpected money and the police some retraining on gun laws.
streetdoc

Postby pbharvey » Mon May 10, 2010 8:37 am

JimVonBaden wrote:Already discussed here: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=16137

I don't go there (or "here" as you call it). There is not here. So actually, it hasn't been discussed here. When you said it was discussed "here" did you really mean "there"?

I don't think I'd like it over there because sometimes I don't even like it here and there is no doubt worse than here. I mean, that's why we created there, to make something like here, but worse, right? :D
Brian
R1200C Montana for sale.
Good enough for James Bond, good enough for you.

Replace your heating and cooling system and receive a $1500 Tax Credit.
pbharvey
Board Wizard

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon May 10, 2010 8:47 am

pbharvey wrote:

I don't go there (or "here" as you call it). There is not here. So actually, it hasn't been discussed here. When you said it was discussed "here" did you really mean "there"?

I don't think I'd like it over there because sometimes I don't even like it here and there is no doubt worse than here. I mean, that's why we created there, to make something like here, but worse, right? :D

Actually, it is for club members only, and you have to ask to get in. However, the point was that it was discussed there, though it started here. :lol:

Last edited by JimVonBaden on Mon May 10, 2010 9:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimVonBaden

Postby Ron P » Mon May 10, 2010 8:52 am

The guy's first mistake was not realizing that for all the actions the MSP showed in the video, they cut him a break with a 15 mph over the limit ticket. Had that been me, I would have just said "Thank you very much, Trooper" and mailed my money in to the state. All he did by posting the video was further incriminate himself.
Be sincere, whether you mean it or not.
I.B.A #55796
Ron P
Chief Scribe

Postby Firebird » Mon May 10, 2010 9:42 am

Ron P wrote:The guy's first mistake was not realizing that for all the actions the MSP showed in the video, they cut him a break with a 15 mph over the limit ticket. Had that been me, I would have just said "Thank you very much, Trooper" and mailed my money in to the state. All he did by posting the video was further incriminate himself.

YUP!
Firebird

Postby radon222 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:12 am

This topic has come up on several MC forums that I visit and its certainly been interesting following the direction that various threads have gone. On guy swore that had he been the rider in question...." a gunfight would have ensued..." :roll:
'14 GSAW <--mine
'12 R1200RT <-- The Wifey's pimpin ride
radon222
Board Guru

Postby JimVonBaden » Mon May 10, 2010 10:19 am

radon222 wrote:This topic has come up on several MC forums that I visit and its certainly been interesting following the direction that various threads have gone. On guy swore that had he been the rider in question...." a gunfight would have ensued..." :roll:

Hmm, the cop had the gun drawn, and the guy said a gunfight would ensue? He wouldn't plan on living long, would he, especially with a marked police cruiser behind him!

JimVonBaden

Postby radon222 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:37 am

Well yea! I mean come on. In the 6 seconds it took the cop to get out his car with weapon drawn, and identify himself....couldn't you have unzipped your tank bag and drawn a weapon too??? lolol.
'14 GSAW <--mine
'12 R1200RT <-- The Wifey's pimpin ride
radon222
Board Guru

Postby Dan » Mon May 10, 2010 10:27 pm

:cooltu:

there's a bit more leeway in final drive to really get in to it too. :twisted:
And just for reference, if there is anybody who doesn't have access to Final Drive, and wants access, instructions are below.
Forum Rules wrote:To access Final Drive, send an e-mail to finaldrive@bmwbmw.org :

your board nickname
your real name
your membership number
phone number to contact you
your address.
Dan

Next

Return to General Chat