Tech Day Nov 17, 2018

General Discussion about BMW Motorcycles

Tech Day Nov 17, 2018

Postby thanatos1224 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:03 pm

Hello everyone,

Let us try this again ;-).....

WInter is knocking on our doors and based off some sidebar conversations held at this months club meeting. We definitely are in need of a tech Day. I was able to use my beltway charm (again) and get the bosses buy-in for a Tech Day in November. And from working across the aisle with my colleagues I was able to talk the board of directors into holding the club meeting at the Stroud Manor too.

Just so you know: I have most basic tools, and tools specific for my 2015 GSA, I have basic wiring tools for fixing stuff to include a soldering iron. I do have a manual wheel balance stand if you would like to manually change a tire or two. To include the required adapter for the r1200gsa back tire. I have two each torque wrenches for those that are OCD like myself. I will have a 5-gallon container so I can recycle used oil. I ask that you take the used tires with you as I have not figured where to properly dispose of them yet.

If you want to bleed your brakes ensure to pick up a bleeder bag on Amazon Russell 639500 Speed Bleeder Bag
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... SX679_.jpg
David & Carol
Just finding an excuse to ride
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Re: Tech Day Nov 17, 2018

Postby thanatos1224 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:12 pm

thanatos1224 wrote:Hello everyone,

Let us try this again ;-).....

WInter is knocking on our doors and based off some sidebar conversations held at this months club meeting. We definitely are in need of a tech Day. I was able to use my beltway charm (again) and get the bosses buy-in for a Tech Day in November. And from working across the aisle with my colleagues I was able to talk the board of directors into holding the club meeting at the Stroud Manor too.

Just so you know: I have most basic tools, and tools specific for my 2015 GSA, I have basic wiring tools for fixing stuff to include a soldering iron. I do have a manual wheel balance stand if you would like to manually change a tire or two. To include the required adapter for the r1200gsa back tire. I have two each torque wrenches for those that are OCD like myself. I will have a 5-gallon container so I can recycle used oil. I ask that you take the used tires with you as I have not figured where to properly dispose of them yet.

If you want to bleed your brakes ensure to pick up a bleeder bag on Amazon Russell 639500 Speed Bleeder Bag

Meetup link... https://www.meetup.com/BMW-Bikers-of-Me ... 255619422/
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby endobobdds » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:51 pm

Thanks for being flexible and setting up another tech day in combination with the next club meeting. Great idea and I plan on being there.
Bob Smyth
'18 GSA, Triple Black
'04 K1200RS (Blue/White)
'02 K1200RS (Black - retired :cry: )
endobobdds
Board Guru

Postby thanatos1224 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:03 pm

endobobdds wrote:Thanks for being flexible and setting up another tech day in combination with the next club meeting. Great idea and I plan on being there.

Thanks, Tech Days were one of the main reasons for joining... I hope we have a great turn out. I would like to get some type of questionnaire out to possibly get a list of topics for future Tech Days. Just my thoughts...
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby thanatos1224 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:28 pm

ALRIGHTY, Thus far only 5 folks have RSVP via BMWBMW Meetup App https://www.meetup.com/BMW-Bikers-of-Me ... 255619422/
Per the boss, we will have an assortment of hot and cold beverages (Coffee, Assortment of Hot Tea, Hot Cocoa, bottled water and cold tea) make your own sandwich platter and delicious meatballs in the crockpot with some butter biscuits. Yum.! The 7-day forecast calls for ~50 degrees for our next Tech Day. (The Last time I hosted a Tech Day is was a wee bit colder.) Any hoots, if you are intending to come to our next Tech Day / Monthly meeting Please RSVP if you could and make sure to email one of the BODs or myself for the Address. :-)

Friendly reminder: I have most basic tools, and tools specific for my 2015 GSA, I have basic wiring tools for fixing stuff to include a soldering iron. I do have a manual wheel balance stand if you would like to manually change a tire or two. To include the required adapter for the r1200gsa back tire. I have two each torque wrenches for those that are OCD like myself. I will have a 5-gallon container so we can recycle any used oil. I do ask that you take the used tires with you as I have not figured where to properly dispose of them yet.

See you there...
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby thanatos1224 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 9:27 pm

Heading to the store tomorrow for the goods. I sure hope folks like good ole home prepared meatballs in a very tasty chili sauce, make your own sandwiches, hot biscuits and I think there are some home-baked cookies hiding somewhere from last weeks baking day.
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby thanatos1224 » Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:24 pm

thanatos1224 wrote:Heading to the store tomorrow for the goods. I sure hope folks like good ole home prepared meatballs in a very tasty chili sauce, make your own sandwiches, hot biscuits and I think there are some home-baked cookies hiding somewhere from last weeks baking day.

Alrighty, picked up a plate of croissant ham, roast beef, chicken sandwichs. Butter Biscuits for the meatballs, mini donuts for the early hours, coffee, tea and water. Heck I even vacuumed the downstairs. Carol says just like last time she plans to keep the hot coffee coming and will chat with anyone looking to step away from the garage for a moment or two. I even found a bag of mini candy bars that need to go.

The weather for tomorrow looks great for a cool dry ride. low 40s ~9am 50 degrees by noon and for the rest of the day. (hence ensuring we have hot coffee and tea at the ready).
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby thanatos1224 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:02 am

Okay, the garage is all cleaned out and ready, the cars are moved to the street, the coffee is made and the donuts are out. The meatballs are cooking in the crockpot and the sandwiches are put together.
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby jcabiles » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:43 pm

thanatos1224 wrote:Okay, the garage is all cleaned out and ready, the cars are moved to the street, the coffee is made and the donuts are out. The meatballs are cooking in the crockpot and the sandwiches are put together.

Thank you Dave and Carol for hosting the Tech Day and Club meeting. Great food and great company, and it was nice meeting some new riders!

And hello again to Phil and Karen.
2017 R1200 GS
jcabiles
Board Guru

Postby thanatos1224 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:56 pm

Thanks to all that came by to share a cup of coffee and a few laughs. As mentioned today, I appreciate all the camaraderie as folks pinching in to help their fellow rider.
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby thanatos1224 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:57 pm

jcabiles wrote:
thanatos1224 wrote:Okay, the garage is all cleaned out and ready, the cars are moved to the street, the coffee is made and the donuts are out. The meatballs are cooking in the crockpot and the sandwiches are put together.

Thank you Dave and Carol for hosting the Tech Day and Club meeting. Great food and great company, and it was nice meeting some new riders!

And hello again to Phil and Karen.

Thank you.
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby endobobdds » Sat Nov 17, 2018 6:33 pm

thanatos1224 wrote:Thanks to all that came by to share a cup of coffee and a few laughs. As mentioned today, I appreciate all the camaraderie as folks pinching in to help their fellow rider.

A big thank you to you Dave and your wife Carol for your generous hospitality, wonderful food, and opening up your home and garage for a Tech Day and Club meeting! =D>

I always learn something by attending our BMWBMW Tech Day's even if I don't work on my bike at the event. Some of you saw me scratching my head about the white box with 3 horizontally lined up dots on my TFT display that I could not explain or find any mention of in the user's manual for my '18 GSA. I took a picture of the screen and texted it to Drew Alexander at Bob's BMW and he sent me the answer and I received a call form their service department explaining what it was referring to. If I understand it correctly, when I paired my Iphone to the bike and had the Navigator GPS on, the display is the speed limit of the road. Since the bike was not moving and not on a public road the box just had the 3 horizontal dots. I unpaired the Iphone on the way home so will need to confirm all of this the next time I get back out on the bike. :D
Bob Smyth
'18 GSA, Triple Black
'04 K1200RS (Blue/White)
'02 K1200RS (Black - retired :cry: )
endobobdds
Board Guru

Postby thanatos1224 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:50 am

endobobdds wrote:
thanatos1224 wrote:Thanks to all that came by to share a cup of coffee and a few laughs. As mentioned today, I appreciate all the camaraderie as folks pinching in to help their fellow rider.

A big thank you to you Dave and your wife Carol for your generous hospitality, wonderful food, and opening up your home and garage for a Tech Day and Club meeting! =D>

I always learn something by attending our BMWBMW Tech Day's even if I don't work on my bike at the event. Some of you saw me scratching my head about the white box with 3 horizontally lined up dots on my TFT display that I could not explain or find any mention of in the user's manual for my '18 GSA. I took a picture of the screen and texted it to Drew Alexander at Bob's BMW and he sent me the answer and I received a call form their service department explaining what it was referring to. If I understand it correctly, when I paired my Iphone to the bike and had the Navigator GPS on, the display is the speed limit of the road. Since the bike was not moving and not on a public road the box just had the 3 horizontal dots. I unpaired the Iphone on the way home so will need to confirm all of this the next time I get back out on the bike. :D

It is a nifty display, BMW did a cool job putting it together,...
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Postby eap » Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:45 am

Thanks David and Carol - I had a great day at the Tech Day - learned new stuff, met new riders and ate well! Hope someone posts pics soon.

Ride Safe,

Ed
(EAP)
eap
Chesapeake Bay Watershed http://www.chesapeakebay.net
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride, E.A.Poe
14 R1200GS LC
01 R1150GS (100K smiles)
81 R80G/S (~50k smiles)
IBA # 60680
eap
Board Wizard

Postby thanatos1224 » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:32 pm

eap wrote:Thanks David and Carol - I had a great day at the Tech Day - learned new stuff, met new riders and ate well! Hope someone posts pics soon.

Ride Safe,

Ed
(EAP)

I sent the ones I took to our Media Guru :-)
David & Carol
thanatos1224
Board Guru

Return to General Chat